OBS Overheat!!!!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no smoke, other than black on hard accel, coming out the exhaust. A puff of white comes out upon initial startup but it's done that for months. The overheating is a recent development

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the radiator checks out, I would pull the injectors, then pressurize the system to check the cups.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 gallons in 200 miles seems huge. Can't believe I'd be burning that without any noticeable smoke

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone consider bad injector cup seals yet? I don't have experience with this but other than a headgasket its the only place I can think of for coolant to be consumed.

Edit, oh yeah two posts up. :Thumbs Up

Last edited:

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm praying not. I need this truck badly but on a lighter note, I just put pressure to the system,WARMED UP this time, and noticed a dripping lower rad hose. Gonna change the hoses and see where I'm at then

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 gallons in 200 miles seems huge. Can't believe I'd be burning that without any noticeable smoke

I agree: that’s a lot to go out your injector cups, however, injector cups are super common right at your mileage.

Try this: See if you can get a camera on your overflow/degas reservoir under hood so you can watch it under load. If you can’t get a camera, put a big towel on top of your overflow, taking care to make sure nothing like a belt or fan can eat it, and go drive up the closest big hill. I’m betting you are puking coolant out your overflow due to a blocked/intermittent thermostat. I know it’s new, but it definitely seems like that’s the biggest potential culprit, especially when you have no hot coolant from time to time in the hoses.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so back to the short long thermostat debate. I pulled the motor craft thermostat I just put in and it's about an inch from the bottom to the sealing gasket built onto the thermostat. The sealing rim on the water pump to the lower sealing surface on the water pump is 1.5". Is this the wrong thermostat and would this cause overheating issues!? Just something I saw and wanted to make sure of.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So
I'm pretty sure the dealer sold me the wrong one. I will exchange that later. But why happens when you install the wrong one into the vehicle. More specifically, what happens when you install a short thermostat into a pump meant for a long one. I'm trying to match symptoms here to see if Thai is my issue.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Although International still uses a 203° thermostat in some applications and that thermostat is available at most auto parts stores, it is the wrong part for the 1996 - 2003 Powerstroke. DO NOT USE THIS! It has a shorter shaft and will not shut off the internal pump bypass. This will cause inaccurate coolant flow direction through the engine. This IH version thermostat mentioned is available by calling us.
The thermostat in the Powerstroke not only controls operating temperatures, but properly directs the flow of coolant through the engine. As the thermostat opens, it proportionally closes the bypass. With the thermostat fully open, the bypass is mostly closed, and vice versa. With the International (Pre-96 Ford) thermostat, this cannot be controlled properly because of the shorter bypass stem. The shorter stem of the IH(pre-96 Ford) thermostat allows the thermostat to be fully open while the bypass is fully open. This means the coolant can travel in any direction available -- whatever direction it chooses. It can either travel through the radiator or simply make the shorter, less restrictive path back through the front of the engine. This will cause uncontrolled overheating in the back cylinders of the block, with absolutely no signs of danger showing on the water temperature gauge in the cab. It is possible that the back of the engine can have no coolant flow at all yet the thermometer in the outlet of the water pump shows all to be normal. Multiple things can happen at this point. Cylinders can seize, freeze plugs can fall out and other normal symptoms of an overheating engine may occur. Worst case is a blown motor and it won't be covered under warranty.

https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite203thermostat.aspx

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I do in fact have the 95 pump. The long stem wouldn't even fit down into the pump. So, I replaced all the hoses and put pressure in it about three hours ago. I will report back on how it held pressure.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... new hoses new water pump. ( I found the water pump leaking )
I'm Driving sling at 50-60 and the temp gauge will go from the N up to the M every five min or so. I'm at a loss. Air bubble?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Degas. I just drove from
Baton Rouge to New Orleans (3hr) drive and it fluctuated on the beginning but middle to end it pretty much stayed around the middle of NORMAL. It's been so long since I've had no cooling issues I don't remember what's normal for these trucks. I'm hoping with the radiator drain and flush and new water pump and all it just had air. I am letting it cool down so I can see if it's low ok coolant.
Don't eviscerate me but I am just running plain water. With this cooling issue I can't afford to put the coolant into it until I know it's not leaking it out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't blame you. Though coolant will give you a little boil protection.
My 94 never really fluctuated. I ran the 203 thermostat. It practically lived on M.
Maybe try one of those spill free funnels. Unless you know someone with a vacuum bleeder.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping with this long drive and the fact that it was fluctuating early in the drive and now it stabilized that I had some kind of air pocket and it work itself back into the degas bottle. I will fill it back up tonight and see where we are this week. I'm praying this is the fix as I need this truck to work. Thanks for all of y'alls help So far with this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online