OBS Overheat!!!!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so good news. And bad. I drove the truck for a week including a four hour trip and the coolant was not low at the end and it never got hot.
Bad news, when I changed the water pump I also resealed the power steering pump which required pulling the pulley off. I must have not pressed it back on all the way as I cut one of the ribs off of the BRAND NEW serpentine belt. The run toward the engine. The only weird part is all of the grooves pulleys are right except for the ac. It has jumped one groove. Since I only messed with the power steering pulley it's Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is often the right one. That would be power steering related. I just eye balled it as I cleaned the shaft prior to reinstall so I couldn't see where the pulley was before. I pressed the pulley flush with the shaft. Any thoughts would be terrific. Thanks.
I also put a new vac pump on about 6 months ago but haven't had any issues until I messed with the PS.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so good news. And bad. I drove the truck for a week including a four hour trip and the coolant was not low at the end and it never got hot.
Bad news, when I changed the water pump I also resealed the power steering pump which required pulling the pulley off. I must have not pressed it back on all the way as I cut one of the ribs off of the BRAND NEW serpentine belt. The run toward the engine. The only weird part is all of the grooves pulleys are right except for the ac. It has jumped one groove. Since I only messed with the power steering pulley it's Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is often the right one. That would be power steering related. I just eye balled it as I cleaned the shaft prior to reinstall so I couldn't see where the pulley was before. I pressed the pulley flush with the shaft. Any thoughts would be terrifi. Thanks.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm probably wearing everybody out with this but I'm so close to the finish line. Any thoughts on pulley press depth?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I really need help. I put the old belt back on and it jumped within smatter in minutes. It only jumped on the crank pulley. It jumped toward the engine.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pressed the pulley down flush with the seat and the belt jumped immediately only on the crank. I am at a loss.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a weird factoid. When I changed the water pump last weekend I found four washers on the back side of the water pump pulley acting as spacers. They were clearly not intended to be there so I did not reinstall them. Thoughts?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reinstalled those washer behind the water pump pulley and the belt does not jump. Since I ran for so long with those washer I'm inclined to continue though I would like some clarity on the root cause so I can change the necessary parts.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same but my crankshaft pulley is awfully wobbly at idle. And the pulley, at least visually, looks correct. I may have to order another one and compare?
This is so frustrating as I have fought this truck for the last month with one issue or another. I'm ready to be over the hump and have a reliable truck once more.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it all back together and it's worse. So I'm going to remove the washer. Any thoughts on what could be the culprit?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the fan and crAnked it up. Looked like the belt was pinching at the water pump after the power steering pump pulley. I pulled the PS pulley out a bit more and it got better. I finally pulled it out some more and no more pinching. I RE assembled everything and it seems to be fine now. So I guess it was the PS pulley all along. Just needed pulled out more than I thought it should

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got all the alignment stuff fixed. Apparently my ps pulley was just too far in. Finally got a good look along the ribs and could see the alignment was off.

I am still losing about 2 gal of coolant every 200-300 miles. I also let it sit for two days without driving it and when i cranked it this morning it hesitated on cranking almost like the battery didn't have the power to crank it for a split second. It then sent out it's puff of white smoke it does every time it sits for a few days. Is this indicative of a head gasket leak? And if so why am I not pressurizing the degas bottle enough to blow coolant.

I was running for 30-40 min this morning at 70mph (which is about 2700rpm) and stopped and immediately went to look at the degas bottle and it was completely dry. So I don't seem to be puking coolant under boost or hard driving. But I only get white smoke in initial startup with the truck having say for a day or more.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's a few possibilities. Once again, I'd still lean towards injector cups.
It is now trying to hydrolock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Diag for injector cups is what? To pull the injectors and pressurize the system?

coukd I puke the glow plugs, pressurize the system, see which cylinder is getting coolant in it, then pull just that one injector and change the cup? I need this truck right as I use it for commuting and can't have it down so I need to fix it as fast as possible.
And I am told cups usually leak slowly not as much as mine is. Not questioning you just looking for the info.