Not sure which axle seal to get

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've go grease all over my brakes and drum on the rear passenger.

It's a 94 F250 7.3 idi.

I went to autozone and they gave me this small seal but the last time I did my brakes a couple years ago I took the hub off and put the same seal back in because I didnt know I was supposed to replace the seal.

Is the 10.25 seal the correct one?

Is there more than one I should replace?

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That is the only one. For that price, you should get the Scotseal off of amazon. I believe that SKF34384 is the part number. These seem to seal up better than the other types. I had one on my truck that wouldn't seal with the National seals. The Scotseal seal did the trick.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it.

@IDIBRONCO I got that saved for when I buy it this Friday. I was wanting to replace both bearings on both sides but I'm not sure which one it is. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for that because I keep finding tapered bearings and the even ring ones but I'm almost positive they were tapered.

I feel like they are tapered and there is two in the hub/axle. if I'm not mistaken

Are they the exact same?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, there are two tapered bearings. I can't remember if they are the same size, but I'm thinking not. Before you order, double or even triple check which axle you have and the bearing/seal application.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it is the Sterling 10.25, according to Rock Auto, the bearings are different sized. That seems right after doing my 10.25 about a year ago.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another thing. People say to use a little bit of RTV between the Scotseal and the stub that it mounts on to make sure that it doesn't leak there. It sounds strange, but the Scotseal actually seals within itself. I didn't do this and don't have a leak, but if I was to do it over again, I sure would. It's just a little extra prevention.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seal

Bearing

Race.

Bearing

Race.

The races and bearings I think are reversed. I think the second race is for the first bearing and vice versa. One of the bearings is the same as one of the front wheel bearings on the D50/60 if memory serves.

steve phillips

Reaction score
be a good time to make sure axle vent not blocked, should have a rubber line on it to top of frame. scotseals are the real deal. you might also inspect metal brake lines for rust, I replace all metal lines when I get a new truck when I do brakes cu-nickel line is great. amazon has best price, much better than auto-zone or advance. best of luck