Not Happy - Opinions please.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could Ken not put back on the guys' hood? Throw a tarp over the thing? He DID have $7,000 to work with. Was there not enough money left to charge $50 to "install" the hood or charge $80 to purchase and install a tarp?

If I tow a car and I don't get paid, I still have the responsibility to care for the asset. I store the car safely and add the storage and care to the bill until I complete the lien process and sell the asset.

I DO NOT get to drop it in the ghetto where it will be stripped and burned.

bluecollar

Reaction score
I'm with Roboto on this one. That's definately not my type of business to deal with. That's why I say when a person has problems it's always best to let everybody else know. Takes only a couple of times before the business starts hurting and will eventually lead to better customer service. If ten people have good experiences with him and tell everybody here and thirty others have trouble and say nothing then I guess we assume he runs a good business don't we?

kowboi73

Reaction score
my 2 cents

If the guy agreed to pay, but then couldn't who's freaking responsibility is it?

I'm not talking legally, I'm talking man to man. If a guy made me work for nothing, I'd make him pay one way or the other.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Back to the topic, IIRC, you once posted you were going to be late sending back your core and were trying to contact Ken about an extension. If that is the case, what were the results? If he alotted you extra time, I would consider doing the same. If not, then I would expect no different if I were Ken. I would also tend to agree that being told one date then not being contacted is poor business.

As to the guys truck who didn't pay. I don't know anything about that, and believe you guys are only hearing one side of the story, so it is going to be biased. I applaud Ken for not publicly addressing this issue as it is not a public issue, it is between service provider and service payee, shame that guy that owned the truck didn't have the same professionalism.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Could Ken not put back on the guys' hood? Throw a tarp over the thing? He DID have $7,000 to work with.

How do you know that? Do you suppose the parts and time vested were free? I don't want to argue, but like I said, you are hearing one side of the story unless you were there, maybe you were, I don't know.

If I were Ken, the guy would not have received his vehicle as it would have been liened and sold as was posted. I would have to applaud Ken for at least helping the guy out as much as he did, but I would also say that if you were out that much time, the guy should have come and put his own hood on just for getting some leeway in his non-payment situation, but then again, I have no idea what truly transpired and doubt anyone but those two do!

bluecollar

Reaction score
How can you say that a business transaction is not anyone else's concern? If a place gets in a pattern of bad deals wouldn't you like to know before you send your money to someone who's hundreds of miles away? I know what you're saying about only getting one side the story but with only one side talking does the other side have something to hide or just maybe doesn't really care. As for putting the truck outside with no cover to intentially damage it says alot for a man's character when things don't work out to his advantage. Maybe before he does another job like that he should try to get the money up front. I'm no legal expert but what about the other comment about a mechanic's lien? That wasn't about the money it was only to get the one up on the guy.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
bluecollar said:
How can you say that a business transaction is not anyone else's concern?

Here's why, were you there? I am guessing no, so you do not know what transpired, other than what one guy said, so as I stated, you don't know.

If a place gets in a pattern of bad deals wouldn't you like to know before you send your money to someone who's hundreds of miles away?

I agree, but apparently he is doing fine without my money anyways, but I am not sure there is a pattern here, just here-say. I believe that Apextrans is having a problem and I hope it gets worked out. The fact that you can't get an answer bothers me, but when I had problems in the first place, then I probably would have looked elsewhere, oh, I forgot, there is no elsewhere.

I know what you're saying about only getting one side the story but with only one side talking does the other side have something to hide or just maybe doesn't really care.

You ever think what kind of picture you would paint if Ken came on here and said "oh, that stupid so and so" you would still think there was a problem. Being professional is the way to go as far as I am concerned.

As for putting the truck outside with no cover to intentionally damage it says alot for a man's character when things don't work out to his advantage. Maybe before he does another job like that he should try to get the money up front. I'm no legal expert but what about the other comment about a mechanic's lien? That wasn't about the money it was only to get the one up on the guy.

Did you see the truck outside with no hood? And no, it was not about getting a one up. Service costs money. If Ken did all the work that was posted was done, he was vested in this project and deserved fair compensation - don't you agree? Where do you feel his responsibility ended? Sounds like you think he should have finished the work for free, my god man, everyone has to make a living. Did you put in any free time last week?

The point is, all this has nothing to do with the posters question. If Ken has a bad rep, then so be it. If you don't want to buy from him, cool, he has survived this long without your money and I would suggest you spend your coin elsewhere. What I don't appreciate after 20+ years in business is someone condemning a man trying to make a living from nothing buy hearsay!

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SLE2115, FreightTrain stated that Ken gave the guy part of his money back. From this I assume that ALL the money was not spent.

I just can't get past the fact that the truck was left outside like a junker at the salvage yard. If anything, take care of it so your other customers don't see something like that.

Hopefully the next person to do business with Ken will think twice. Just not being able to contact the guy is a dealbreaker in my book.

bluecollar

Reaction score
It only takes a little common sense to see if a pattern of bad transactions takes place if everyone from this site would let others know. It's not my intention to condemn his business because you're right I don't know him. I'm currently trying to decide where to buy an injection pump and would like to know all there is to know about these businesses. I would at least think that if there was a problem dealing with this kind of money and his business rep he would try to give his side of the story and use some intelligence doing so. Many of you have done business with him and had no problems but what does it look like when I start looking for a pump and start reading stories like this? If your business is based on customers primarily from internet sales then word of mouth is what most of us try to get before we buy from you most of the time. Lighten up I'm not here to argue with ya just trying to sort through the b.s.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't need to lighten up in my opinion, but none the less I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying. If I saw a continued stream of bad products etc. then I would think twice as well. And as you said, not being able to make contact would be bad. Apextrans is dealing with that issue and I would not be comfortable in that situation.

Having ran several businesses for many years, I fully believe the business adage that a happy customer tells one person, while a dissatisfied customer (even if they, they customer were the cause of the dissatisfaction) will tell 20. The ratio holds about true. I have seen 4 issues with Ken on this and all other boards I frequent total. I have seen in the last month no less than 8 people that are very satisfied with what they have received. I believe Apextrans was even happy with performance and such, but as you stated, service is paramount here and is possibly lacking. I have read many posts from Apex and if in the end, he is unsatisfied with the total package, I would take his trials/tribulations pretty seriously but I just feel that taking one persons word, especially someone who contracted a job then backed out financially, as irresponsible. I have been in this situation, I have done machine work for years, I have had customers drop of parts, never seen or heard from them for years, then come back and want their finished product. That type of customer is not needed by anyone in business and I would venture to place 90% of the blame on the truck owner. He could have told Ken he would be down to get the truck on Monday, and not showed up until Friday, or he could have told Ken don't worry about the hood, I'll take care of it or better yet, as far as we know, maybe the hood was installed but the exaggeration made for a better tale.

The law of averages so far has shown me two things - 1. Ken makes a quality product that does enhance performance and seems responsible in supporting it. 2. Ken's business sucks at communication and he maybe needs to hire someone to help with that, but then again, if it is a sideline, I wouldn't expect him to be there 24/7.

Apextrans, I hope it all works out for you and to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
SLE2115, FreightTrain stated that Ken gave the guy part of his money back. From this I assume that ALL the money was not spent.

I just can't get past the fact that the truck was left outside like a junker at the salvage yard. If anything, take care of it so your other customers don't see something like that.

Hopefully the next person to do business with Ken will think twice. Just not being able to contact the guy is a dealbreaker in my book.

I totally agree with the contact issues, just not so sure on what transpired and really at this point, it doesn't matter and isn't getting Apextrans his IP back any faster.

Yes, and FreightTrain also posted these -

"was a total fabrication(the powderchoke ******** on STD....I got the other side of the story and he pretty much left out WHY Ken didn't finish his truck and put it outside.)"

and

"Ken got a bunch of parts and did a lot of work like porting heads(the pics the nut job puts out there are pictures Ken sent the kid while he was doing the port and polish)"

and

"Give him a stock set of heads and keeps the ported heads the guy keeps posting pictures of.Tells him to come get his truck and he moves it outside.Guy never comes and truck sets out there for a while before the guy finally sends someone to pick it up.End of story."

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
This thread is not going in a direction I intended. I don't know how to do the continuous quote thing but I want to address a few different posts.

sle, you're right. I did need an extention on the core time, & was granted the time I needed. I was told by Ken when I ordered my stuff that 14 days is what he looks for but as long as a call was placed to inform him of more time needed to remove the core parts it was cool. However, I had the stuff out & back to him when I told him I would, after asking for the extention. My point is I did what he asked & what I said I'd do while keeping in contact with him all the while. That's all I'm asking for here. Yeah, I want my damn pump back, but I own a business & understand all the unforseen bullcrap that can push a schedule out of wack in seconds. When that happens to me, & it does ALL the time, I call my customers & tell them. Simple as that & that's all it takes to keep everyone smiling.

bluecollar, it's not a pattern of bad transactions with Ken. At least as far as I know & definately with my purchases with him, he has always delivered & offered advice over the phone beyond what many others would do. His products are, with my IP excluded, top rate. & before the shaft puked, the truck ran great. Communication is the problem. But this isn't the first time this has come up on this board. Some get him on the phone every time & some can't. Nobody has never NOT gotten him on the phone at all. It's just not easy...for me at least. And it's always more annoying when it's parts for your daily driver as my truck is for me. I've ordered from him before & will do it again without question. And that's coming from the guy who is having a problem at this point in time. That should quiet your fears about his products & reputation.

I don't know about this powerstroke thing & don't care. For me at least it has no bearing on whether I would deal with Ken again. If you own a business, you will have it out with someone at some point in time without question. It happens to me on a regular basis. Doesn't mean I'm a lousy carhauler or run my business poorly. Sometimes there are people that impossible to please. If someone expected me to haul their car for free or half of what I told them it would cost, & called me half way through the trip, they would find their car at the closest rest area to where ever I was when that call came in or it would be impounded when I got back. I don't work for free.

I didn't mean to imply that Ken was risky to deal with because he's not. I just expect someone to do what they tell me they'll do, & if they can't, tell me that too. Customer service isn't DPS' strong suit, but their products speak for themselves I just thought it was odd to take two weeks to get a shaft & was asking if anybody else thought so too. That & the lack of contact is what has me pissed.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
And as you said, not being able to make contact would be bad. Apextrans is dealing with that issue and I would not be comfortable in that situation.

I had made contact on a number of occasions. It takes many tries but I do get through. If noone answered...at all, yes I would be uncomfortable.

sle2115 said:
I have seen in the last month no less than 8 people that are very satisfied with what they have received. I believe Apextrans was even happy with performance and such, but as you stated, service is paramount here and is possibly lacking. I have read many posts from Apex and if in the end, he is unsatisfied with the total package, I would take his trials/tribulations pretty seriously

I was satisfied after install & moreso after Mel set my timing. My truck ran very well prior to DPS stuff & much better & smoother afterwards. The only thing dis-satifying is the communication problems I'm having. Paul will drag Ken out from under a truck to talk to me. It's just hard to get to that point.

sle2115 said:
The law of averages so far has shown me two things - 1. Ken makes a quality product that does enhance performance and seems responsible in supporting it. 2. Ken's business sucks at communication and he maybe needs to hire someone to help with that.
Apextrans, I hope it all works out for you and to your satisfaction.

That pretty much sums it all up & thanks for the well-wishes.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
apextrans said:
I was satisfied after install & moreso after Mel set my timing. My truck ran very well prior to DPS stuff & much better & smoother afterwards. The only thing dis-satifying is the communication problems I'm having. Paul will drag Ken out from under a truck to talk to me. It's just hard to get to that point.

I agree with you 100%! Communication should be better and you would like to receive your product when promised, or at least a call saying when and why, which rolls us back to communication. As I said, hopefully it all works out for you, you deserve that. I never meant to say you hadn't been slighted and definetely feel you will get your pump. Hopefully very soon and I hope it lasts you a good long time! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes