Not a ln idi specific question, but more of a bricknose question

turbo_h8er

Reaction score
I have a 1988 ford f250 with the 7.3 idi, zf5, and full floater single rear wheel rear axle. It's also a 4x4.
What size rear brake shoes do I have?
You can get 2.5, 3, and 3.5 inch rear shoes and I have no way to go all the way to the truck to measure them until this weekend due to work.
I would like to order shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware and have the stuff here by Sunday or Monday because those are my off days.
Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't think there's really a way to tell without pulling the drum off and looking. I can say from experience that the 2.5 is the most common one.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Pull and check to know for sure. Ford wasnt consistent, and these trucks have been around long enough to have all kinds of stuff switched around.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now is the time to bet on what you'll find. I got a left handed clutch cylinder feed hose riding on that you have...uh...just a minute...gotta consult the crystal ball....

I'm gonna go with 3 inch because I want you to have better brake life than standard.

Any takers..?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same truck as you except mine is an 89, and mine took the 3 inch shoes. I wonder if the 2.5 inch brakes are for the semi-floater rear ends, and the 3.5 are for duallies. That would make sense to me, but I don’t know for sure. I do know that the 1997 SRW F250 rear end I swapped in also took 3 inch brakes.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have the same truck as you except mine is an 89, and mine took the 3 inch shoes. I wonder if the 2.5 inch brakes are for the semi-floater rear ends, and the 3.5 are for duallies. That would make sense to me, but I don’t know for sure. I do know that the 1997 SRW F250 rear end I swapped in also took 3 inch brakes.
You might be mostly right. I've seen a E350 van that took the 2.5" brake shoes.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Slide off the drum and measure the machined width.

Dodge uses 12" Bendix drums also, and you can put in many sizes of wheels cyls, and either width shoes in there.

Edit: 3.5" should be for the dually.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The larger of everything should be for the ambulance package. the 3 in should be for the 250 and 350.