not a good way to waste 800.00!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy the ATS upgrade exhaust for the 94 factory turbo trucks.for 800 bux youd figure they'd have used a decent way to clamp the downpipe to the outlet housing.i thought i was gonna get more turbo whistle but instead i get a system that leaks worse than a 3" gash in a truck tire!!!the stupid little twisted bracket they supply to bolt the downpipe to something dont work cuz the damn tranny dipstick tube is right in the freakin way!!!!!the tail pipe dont fit,it hits the frame,rear fuel tank and the springs!!if i didnt cut the stock downpipe in 3 pieces to get it out id put the stock system back on it and trash this ATS crap!! -cuss -cuss ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
have patience. it will work. Give it a couple of days to soot up and it will be fine. I too was a little skeptical on how it bolts up, but it does work. After seeing the design difference, I wouldn't trade it for the furd style outlet and DP.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya but another issue is its still as nutless as it was before i did this.and my EGTs havent dropped at all.i havent turned up the pump or boost yet though,i wanted to see where i was with the EGTs first.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you may have other issues at hand. Even before I put in the IC, there was quite a few guys who commented my truck running like a "scalded cat". Check your pump timing. There may be an issue there.....like the internal advance no worky. :puke:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pumps only a few months old.it shouldnt have a problem this soon,would it?i got it from midwest fuel injection.it blows black smoke in the same amount it did before this.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
i'm only throwing out guesses. only you know what has been done, but I have learned over the years that just because its been recently rebuilt, that doesn't mean its good. check your boost, and if you hve access to a timing gizmo, make sure your advance is working right. sounds like the pump is turned up but if the advance is not working, you sill still be down on power. all my long distance trucks are bolt action, so I don't have a comparison to a slushbox carrier. But even my midgetduty's (f450 w/60"CA's) have plenty of go to them without a turbo.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i got a case of stanadyne performance on the way.from what ive read that stuff will bring a dead pump back to life.my max boost is around 8PSI,it didnt go up or down after the exhaust :confused: :mad: -cuss

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went to the darkside and liked what i saw so much,i made the move.and if this one doesnt straighten its ass out itll get cut in half again and have a darksider welded to it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
they all have there problems Rich my PSD couldn't fight its way out of a wet paper bag going down hill if ya know what I mean

pafixitman

Reaction score
Rich,
I can't comment on a before / after since I upgraded when I installed my turbo. I lost all of my smoke (I was pretty good for a NA if i do say so...) and I have serious whistle. The only install related problem I had was with the bracket. (well, actually 2 - I pinched the o ring on the dipstick tube and it now slobbers) I have not shortened the rod and I get 6 1/2 pounds boost. I have the Banks Dynomax exhaust system and they got it back on w/ no issues. As mentioned, I do have a slight rub at the firewall on tight right hand turns.

Am I happy about spending more to tweak the turbo than I spent on the whole turbo set up? Heck no. Would I do it over? Heck yes. One look at that factory DP and you realize a straw from McDonalds moves more air!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tail pipe dont really bother me.if it does i can always cut it off and have the exhaust come out in front of the wheels.the thing thats really aggravating me is the leak at the turbo.i mean come on for 800.00 dollars they couldve made the downpipe clamp on like normal. -cuss then you wouldnt need to bolt the pipe to something to keep it from falling out.i have to carry customers in this truckwhen i tow thier cars.it doesnt look good for business using a truck with a bad exhaust leak.so now i cant use it till its fixed.