Non diesel related question about 15w 40? you guys are my only quick source.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get away with running that oil in a Briggs and Stratton engine on a push mower? I only have a little of the b&s oil left in my garage. I'm thinking it should be just fine but I do t mind second guessing myself and asking you guys for your input.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 wt is normal.... Lube is needed. Some new junk uses 0-50 ect.
My 67 hd uses 60w
You could do so using 15-40
Not an oil engineer

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already said, 30 weight is standard, but in a pinch, in warm weather, yeah, I would think that should suffice, but I wouldn't make a habit of using it in the mower, as it's not engineered for that viscous of oil. :dunno

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its looking like ill be able to run at least half of the capacity with the b&s oil and ill just top it off with the 15-40.
Thanks guy's.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 15w40 in all my crap... tractor, mercruiser (4.3 motor), rototiller, push mower, lawn tractor, reel mower, and four wheeler (Rotella T has JASO rating for wet clutch). Only thing that does not run it is my wifes newer Caravan (specs 5W20 IIRC). For winter I use synthetic rotella 10w30 in the bike and the truck.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for reference, never run anything different then 10w30 in kohler v twin engines. The lifter will get stuck solid and bend pushrods. Don't ask how I know. Sore subject

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A diesel specific oil has more "cleaner" in it but will not harm a non diesel engine. Run it and be happy. Say you lost all your engine oil but had plenty of atf. You can run the atf instead of motor oil but do not think its going to be good for any internal combustion engine. But it may get you out of harms way too. Just drive like you have an egg under your throttle foot.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Well its looking like ill be able to run at least half of the capacity with the b&s oil and ill just top it off with the 15-40.
Thanks guy's.

Ive heard mixing oils isnt good, but its a lawnmower who cares

Last edited:

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get away with running that oil in a Briggs and Stratton engine on a push mower? I only have a little of the b&s oil left in my garage. I'm thinking it should be just fine but I do t mind second guessing myself and asking you guys for your input.

Yes. Drain the oil and fill it up with a single type. 30W, 10W30, 15W40, all will do fine.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Lawn mower engines are the least picky engines as far as oil. Doesn't matter if you mix anything either as they just need something that lubricates.

Around here most the big landscaping companies run 15W40 in everything. It works very well!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How old is the engine? Dad and I now run Motorcraft 15W-40 in all our Cubs, but they are from the 70's... and they really like it. I tried the 5W-40 I use in the truck and car, and it was only in there about 2 mowings...... too thin......

jay_t

Reaction score
For simplicity, every engine in my garage get 15w40 - 8.5hp B&S Mower, 9.0 Tecumseh Snowblower, BMW R100, BMW F650. All old engines, no problems, been running in the engines for years.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is the engine? Dad and I now run Motorcraft 15W-40 in all our Cubs, but they are from the 70's... and they really like it. I tried the 5W-40 I use in the truck and car, and it was only in there about 2 mowings...... too thin......

Its a 4-5 yr old troybuilt push mower with a 190cc b&s. Its a damn nice push mower 21in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Troy Bilt makes a good product but they are expensive. I have always wanted one of their big rototillers for our garden. I wont buy or use a front tine tiller. In our yard I have used the huge Mang tillers that require a small trailer to transport them. Those are big heavy tillers. The drive wheels actually slows down the tiller on the ground. I was tilling some hard clay soil when the tillers got up on the surface and the tiller took off. Lucky for me as it left my hands the tiller had a dead mans switch and it shut down. Otherwise it was leaving town in a hurry. Good suggestions on oil usages here too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes