My traction bar build

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice build and write-up! Only comment I have is that those will suck for ground clearance off-road. I assume that is not your priority though. Did you consider other designs that would be better for this?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Meh, yeah they're lower than the frame, but maybe they'll protect it some and work as a rock slider.
Still have the axles to worry about as far as ground clearance. I know in some circumstances that won't matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site is so slow I could not see any of the pictures. Did he put a slip joint or a shackle anywhere in the bar? They bind the suspension if it's just a straight bar with heim joints on each end.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I love my anti wrap bar I have on the crawler. Everything is above the axle tubes, and it is shackled at one end so will not limit articulation.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct offroad is not my first thought. It has seen hardcore off road roughly 1-2 times a year. Not my concern. Yes I did look into other options but for highway driving and offroading in a hay field they fit my bill.
They are simply a bar with heims. I understand they will limit travel but it after seeing so many other similar set ups run every day i decided to try it. We will see how well that works out for me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, the factory put a slip joint/splines in the driveshaft. The transfer case/transmission is mounted stationary in the frame, the rearend is free to move back and forth in the truck as the rear springs flatten out.

Your bar is mounted stationary up front, but it's mounted stationary to the rear axle also. It can swing in a long arc, but can't grow in length when the springs flatten out. I know there are a bunch of them out on the road, and people seem happy with them, so they must work somehow but it makes you wonder about it.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, the factory put a slip joint/splines in the driveshaft. The transfer case/transmission is mounted stationary in the frame, the rearend is free to move back and forth in the truck as the rear springs flatten out.

Your bar is mounted stationary up front, but it's mounted stationary to the rear axle also. It can swing in a long arc, but can't grow in length when the springs flatten out. I know there are a bunch of them out on the road, and people seem happy with them, so they must work somehow but it makes you wonder about it.

Yes I completely agree. I also designed them so that if I want to I can easily pull them out and stick them in the bed. I am not sure how it works but there are so many out there that are this way. My decision was to follow blindly with the pack we will see how this all works... If I want to later I can also add a shackle. Might be interesting to do but we will see.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just adding a shackle to that setup wil render it pointless. To do the shackle you need to have the axle end mount at top and bottom like this. This is the bar I am using and it works great. For on road use I would use bushings instead of heims. It does clunk sometimes on mine.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...krLd_YFfCDkcfV1GYvu8xa0NTdEDybdqb0aAoSq8P8HAQ

I completely agree. A 1 ton truck with leaf springs aren't going to articulate much anyways. Traction bars bind the way we want them to, to keep the pinion from trying to walk up the ring gear under lots of stress.

I originally wanted a standard single bar with hiems but with my exhaust location, I might look in to the one on the link you posted. Thank you for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to love the way that truck handles now. I did the same thing years ago, no more wheel hop and it tightens up the handling. Binding wont be a problem on a street truck. I bought a 4 link kit at a dirt track swapmeet that was for .120 wall dom tubing and it served my purpose just fine.

Attachments

• pic51.jpg
    pic51.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 18
  • pic52.jpg
    pic52.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac