No Power below 2000 rpm

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my boost gauge installed. I didn't note boost as closely as you did, but I did note it.

Pretty much, I would hit 8 psi and the gauge would drop to 6 psi. Not sure if it shifted then, or hit the wastegate. Something to watch next time. This was uphill, empty truck, WOT getting on the freeway.

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my boost gauge installed. I didn't note boost as closely as you did, but I did note it.

Pretty much, I would hit 8 psi and the gauge would drop to 6 psi. Not sure if it shifted then, or hit the wastegate. Something to watch next time. This was uphill, empty truck, WOT getting on the freeway.

Thanks for the info THX. I had to be under load, WOT and well above 2000 rpm to get that kind of boost. I would be interested in seeing if disconnecting the wastegate on your turbo would generate any more boost, or if it stayed down in the 6-8 psi range. You can also adjust the linkage between that little canister and the wastegate actuator arm to change the max boost. Perhaps we could meet up somewhere and do some comparisons.

I have purchased the Carrier fuel pump from Gen Lightening, some extra fuel filters from Typ4 and a Racor 200fg pre-filter off of eBay. The fuel pump has showed up, but Russ may be away from his shop for a while and the eBay delivery is not expected until next week. The next couple of weekends, I will be installing the new fuel components and doing some tuning to see if I can get the bottom end to pick up a bit. Then I will see how that all works since it sounds like a trip to Yellowstone is in the works. If I could afford the time and cash to swap out the Turbo before then I would, but with Back to School and Medical Bills, the Turbo will have to be what it is for now.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we should meetup and do some loaded test runs. I intend to adjust the wastegate, but I need to figure out if I'm hitting the wastegate, or if the load is just reducing at that point for a shift or something.

Let me know when you're free. You have my number.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see how a 'needs to be rebuilt' turbo would affect your <2000 power that drastically. I'd be looking somewhere else.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
bingo^^^^^

I got a brand new turbo for my truck last year and honestly didn't see any difference in power and my boost readings were about the same as what you are seeing. would have to beat the living pi$$ out of it to get any boost essentially. I ended up getting a new up-pipe as it was to worn out to seal correctly and i was leaking drive pressure. that made it(at the time lol) feel like a new truck. Then after more searching and talking i found that my injection pump was not putting out the fuel it should have been putting out. VERY long story short, i got a new injection pump, messed it up and am still way under power. I can now make roughly 10-13psi at WOT(3500 rpm) depending on the weather conditions. I also have next to nothing for power under 2K rpm(some guys claim boost starts rising by 1500rpm with these stock turbos). mine doesn't even move the needle until 2k rpm.

cliff notes: look at your fuel system before you worry about the turbo. fwiw the fins on the cold wheel look just fine!

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is all reassuring. I am tackling the fuel system first. I will be installing the racor 200fg with a 30micron filter as a pre-filter, then the electric carrier fuel pump, then the stock fuel filter. That gives me a two glass bowls for water and gunk to collect in and be visible before gunking up the stock fuel filter. My current top suspicion is junk in the tanks gunking up the stock fuel filter combined with a weak mechanical fuel pump.

The package from typ4 showed up today, so all i need now is the racor and i'll be all set to get all that installed.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an inline fuel pressure gauge?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a pyro that does not break the bank? Are those on eBay any good?

Once i have ruled out the fuel delivery, or at least good fuel flow to the injection pump, then i will be tackling the other components. I.E. the turbo then installing the torquer camshaft to drop the torque peak down in rpms a bit.

THX - I'll send you a text. If you want to do some tuning while pulling a load, we can definitely get that setup. I would love to do the comparisons.

Thanks - JohnZ

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not looking for a regulator but a pressure gauge that could be put online between the last fuel filter and the injection pump. This is to provide an indicator for when that last canister filter is getting plugged up.

Yes, I got the pump from Gen Lightening. Lightning fast shipping to. Paid on Saturday, had pump on Monday.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle