no more boby lift

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I make no claim that my truck (93') is superhuman or anything but here is my experience. I towed a 14klbs trailer from Houston Tx to Lyncburg Va with it. Gears are 3.55's and tires are 315/75-16's so just a hair under 35's. At the time it was NA. I have a large tranny cooler (E4OD) tranny temp gauge, and EGT gauge to monitor things. Made it just fine. Cruised between 65 and 70 most of the way. There were a few hills in Virginia that were rough but I never dropped below 45. I have averaged up to 19 mpg (empty no trailer)with this setup. I've also towed equipment, and hay with it just fine. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 6k miles towing like this

Not trying to blow any smoke but unless you are towing heavy all the time I don't see where 3.55's with 35's would be a problem. I've lived with it for over 30k miles so far. A little slower yes but not unbearable by any means. And now with the turbo on it, it is even better.

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Just curious as I have always hated my 4.10s...how are the 3.55s with stock size tires?

DragRag

Reaction score
Just curious as I have always hated my 4.10s...how are the 3.55s with stock size tires?

Not bad with stock tires at all. Bigger though is not the greatest with that gear.

In regards to the other question from trapper, with 35's I would use the 4.10's for sure. I had 35's on an underpowered super duty 5.4l truck and I ran 4.56's, it really helped out. The over drive was tall enough to handle the gears on that truck.

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 3.55's in my '92 na extended cab w/zf5 and 285/75/16's. I have no complaints. I don't pull a lot of big loads, but I've hauled my share of weight and it's always done fine. When I need to go somewhere long distance the truck is my first choice, with this set up it's an awesome highway cruiser! Took 1500-2000 lbs from PA to New Orleans and it ran like a champ and got 18mpg or so running 70-85mph most of the time (depending on speed limits).

DragRag

Reaction score
I'm running 3.55's in my '92 na extended cab w/zf5 and 285/75/16's. I have no complaints. I don't pull a lot of big loads, but I've hauled my share of weight and it's always done fine. When I need to go somewhere long distance the truck is my first choice, with this set up it's an awesome highway cruiser! Took 1500-2000 lbs from PA to New Orleans and it ran like a champ and got 18mpg or so running 70-85mph most of the time (depending on speed limits).

I have that same set up, and same tires on my green 92'. Not bad at all until you really put the weight on it. A highway cruiser for sure.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a turbo and tall gears you will be able to keep a trailer moving but you will have more problem getting it moving off the line. Once you get the RPMs up, you simply hang on to each gear a little longer before shifting up. Gaps between gears may also feel larger than with a low geared setup so it can often come to situations of "picking your battles" and choosing the right speed and gear ahead of time.

The problem with 3.55 gears is one of the gaps between gears tends to line up with a fairly common grade climbing speed around 45-55 MPH. 2nd gears being too low, and 3rd being too high. 3.08s work fine since 2nd is perfect there and 4.10s work well too with a nearly identical final drive ratio in 3rd (as 3.08s in 2nd gear). Not sure how 3.33 would line up since it apears 3.08s can't be found anymore.

If the truck is empty however, I doubt you will have much issue with any gears you select if you are running a turbo.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Ya if i had the choice I would stick with 4.10's.

Crash86's truck fools me everytime because it has 3.55 and 35 Mud terrains and will pull two tractors at a time better than mine and I have smaller tires. i dont get it haha

I have to agree with you on this 1, I have an 88 F250 N/A that is turning 11.00R16 Michelin XL's(38s) with 3.55 gears and I Avg 18-22 mpg Loaded or empty.

AND when I moved from AZ to Ohio it dropped to 10 Dragging the Hills across I-40 But i was also draggin 14000lbs with a bad injection pump(it went screwy right after I left) but once I got it moving I had few problems out of it and when I hit the flats It would run out 70+ with no problems

The new engine I have in it will actually Break these 38's Loose and throw all kinds of gravel on a Hard packed driveway, the old 1 wouldn't... Too chicken to try it on Asphalt for fear of breaking something LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance