To lift or not to lift

MommaHobbit

Reaction score
Hey all! I recently found a new set of tires for damn near free and threw them on my truck. I knew they would rub but I though it would be no big deal. But ohh was I wrong lol its driving me insane. So I'm now trying to decide if I should put a leveling lift or a reverse shackle on, or potentially just sell what I have and get smaller tires. The interwebs has very conflicting information on lifting the ttb, so I was hoping yall could chime in and confuse me more. I use my truck to tow so I dont really want to go over 2.5". I know that lifting the ttb can be a nighmare to get the camber right and cause it to ride rougher than it already does.. but will a leveling lift really throw it off by that much? What kit options are avalible?

Also, I've looked into the sky reverse shackle and the information about this on the ttb suspension is very confusing. Ive read highly positive reviews as well as stuff about how its basically useless on the ttb. Any insight you could provide would be great! Thanks

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much distance is between the leaf and the bump stop? Your front leaves could just be worn out and need replacing. I did an add-a-leaf on my old TTB and you will need to get camber bushings or find a competent shop to align it as lifting it does change the camber. You should also make sure it isn't just the bottom corner of the bumper rubbing as you can shim the bumper out to get more clearance.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much distance is between the leaf and the bump stop? Your front leaves could just be worn out and need replacing. I did an add-a-leaf on my old TTB and you will need to get camber bushings or find a competent shop to align it as lifting it does change the camber. You should also make sure it isn't just the bottom corner of the bumper rubbing as you can shim the bumper out to get more clearance.
I also did add-a-leafs for my TTB(after replacing bushings, you can have a lot of sag from old bushings) and did not need adjustable camber bushings, just for reference. Most people do need them.

What size tires are you running?

+1 on bumper rub. All depends on what size of tire you've got, if it's normal for it to fit.

As for your actual question: 2.5" is about the upper end of lift correctable with camber bushings IIRC. After that you'd need a drop bracket for the control arms and that's a bunch more money and work.
All in all it's cheaper and easier to get different tires...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't lift a ttb...
That said
Sawsall and a hammer will fit them oversized meats.
Do realise the gearing change with big tires.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If it's sagged.... Then I can see adding a leaf and shimming the bumper to fit the bigger tire.

Next step for me would be a dana 60 swap with correct/OE springs. That alone is a 2" lift.

MommaHobbit

Reaction score
Ive got roughly 1/2" distance between the bump stop and the leaf. What is a normal distance? I do have a little sagging on the passenger side compared to the driver side. Other than the sagging what would be some other indicators I should put new leafs on?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I don't know if this helps or not, but I ran 35x12.50x17s on my stock 87 f250 (ttb), with trimmed front bumper.
Height wasn't at all a problem even off-road. They were way too wide and rubbed the side of the leaves at full lock, but seeing as your tires are stock width, should be fine in that respect.

Rock

MommaHobbit

Reaction score
Thanks for all input fellas. Ive decided not to lift it. I got to lookin and I think I can stop the rubbing just by shimming the bumper. I'm also going to freshen up the front suspension with new bushings and shocks. Ive always been told that moog and bilstein are the best bang for your buck but let me know if you have any other recomendations.

MommaHobbit

Reaction score
If it's sagged.... Then I can see adding a leaf and shimming the bumper to fit the bigger tire.

Next step for me would be a dana 60 swap with correct/OE springs. That alone is a 2" lift.
I had a dana 60 on a previous truck and I loved it. I'm kinda thinking I'd rather save my monies for a swap rather than lifting it.

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moog went offshore, do the center pivot bushes FIRST...
Then check the rest for deterioration and replace them as the center pivot seems to help regain up travel the most. I think it should be like an inch plus???
Never seen an indication on this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online