no fuel coming from IP lines

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
jrisingmoon said:
If the solenoid is bad then can it be replaced or does the whole IP have to be replaced? How much are we talking if it's the solenoid?

Yes the solenoid can be replaced - even by the home shade tree mechanic - just have to pop the top off the injection pump and pay attention to how you takes things apart. Most injection shops will probably look at you funny when you ask for the replacement part because most guys will just swap pumps.

jrisingmoon said:
The front terminal on mine has a red with a green stripe and then a red with a dotted white stripe on it. At some point the two wires are crimped to a single wire, at a fusible link. Then that wire runs to the passenger solenoid.

Yep the injection pump is a junction point for those wires because the wire that supplies power to the injection pump fuel shut off solenoid also supplies power to the glow plug controller along with the temp switch that controlls the timing advance solenoid.

jrisingmoon said:
Does the back terminal need to be plugged in as well? Its a yellow wire. I guess it has to do with the solenoid also

The rear electrical connection the top of the injection pump (yellow wire) is for the timing advance solenoid - when this solenoid fires it restricts the fuel return from the injection pump which causes the injection pump to advance the timing about 3° if memory serves correctly (don't quote me on the amount of timing because it's been a while since I have been under the hood of an IDI) The yellow wire will run from the temp switch that I mentioned earlier - The temp switch is located on the passengers side up front right behind the thermostat/upper radiator hose water neck. It's a two wire connection. Let me explain this temp switch while we are here - the switch is closed (allows current flow to the timing advance solenoid) any time the coolant is below 112° - this same yellow wire is also connected to the fast idle solenoid which is located on the passengers side of the pump (external) which kicks up the accellator cable/linkage assembly.

Just use the ether sparingly - a little goes a L-O-N-G way - sort of like the old jingle... A little dab will do ya...

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to replace the pump but I think the solenoid is the practical way to go. I'll give it a final chance tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the green wire with a red stripe attached to the voltage regulator S terminal go? It goes to a 4-wire connector at some point but after that I'm not sure. For some reason, not sure why, I hooked up the FSS to the S terminal on the voltage regulator when I was rewiring the thing a few months ago. I probably misread a diagram or simply didn't know what i was doing. That probably blew the FSS. Let's see if this'll get the van to start. If not, a new FSS it is then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle