NEWER HYDROBOOST? (1998-newer)

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Researching and finding 1987-1997 F-series HB is what to look for. I have an E-series and have
found a pretty good price on the Hydroboost, hoses, pump/tank, and brake pedal. Problem is the
donor van is an E-450 shuttle, and it's 2005, my van is a 1985.
You must be registered for see images attach

That said, I am pretty good with metal fab, and moving the 4 mounts in the firewall is not too bad.
I am considering going with the bigger master (1-5/16") and mounting it 3/4" lower than the stock
MC, and running with the OEM (1985, E-250) pedal. The increased volume will be good for the larger
brake calipers I am going to run (Front and eventually, Rear.)

From researching I am finding the above combo, with 1-5/16 bore when mounted as mentioned gives
a very good pedal feel.

But that's not my main question, I want to hear about the more modern HB systems and whether
anyone has attempted to convert using one? 2005 into 1985 (w/4 wheel discs, 35" tires)

Look forward to hearing about this... (I think, flame suit on.LOL)

Best regards,
George

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure lindstromjd has a newer hydroboost unit in his truck. He had to modify the length of the pushrod. And I think the bolt mounting holes are different. Maybe 3 instead of four.

That info is all truck info, e series I am not sure about.

Sounds like you might be on the right track!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Researching and finding 1987-1997 F-series HB is what to look for. I have an E-series and have
found a pretty good price on the Hydroboost, hoses, pump/tank, and brake pedal. Problem is the
donor van is an E-450 shuttle, and it's 2005, my van is a 1985.
You must be registered for see images attach

That said, I am pretty good with metal fab, and moving the 4 mounts in the firewall is not too bad.
I am considering going with the bigger master (1-5/16") and mounting it 3/4" lower than the stock
MC, and running with the OEM (1985, E-250) pedal. The increased volume will be good for the larger
brake calipers I am going to run (Front and eventually, Rear.)

From researching I am finding the above combo, with 1-5/16 bore when mounted as mentioned gives
a very good pedal feel.

But that's not my main question, I want to hear about the more modern HB systems and whether
anyone has attempted to convert using one? 2005 into 1985 (w/4 wheel discs, 35" tires)

Look forward to hearing about this... (I think, flame suit on.LOL)

Best regards,
George
george-
vans are uncharted hydro conversion territory take many pics comparing what came out of your van vs. the hydro parts out of the donor van. I suspect many of the parts are a drop-in. be descriptive in a write up and it will become a tech article.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can speak to the van stuff...however the newer stuff is ahem metric threaded and may work or may not work with yer power steering.

Get the entire setup....pump booster all lines maybe steering box and pedal...

That would be my best advice..

I had a metric booster and sold it to a fellow doing a custom HB on a toyota land cruiser...worked fantastic for him.

JM2CW

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi cpdenton, towcat,

Well. No "stop what you're doing!" warnings, so that's encouraging, ha ha.

I am researching.

Does anyone know a reason the 2005 Ford F-Series Hydroboost WILL NOT work in an 80's F-Series?

For example is there any extra valving for progressive anti-lock systems, or bypass circuits for over-pressure?
Any electrical activators, or sensors beyond basic 90's technology?

Or is it most likely the 2005 HB is just like one from a 1997-older?

(I'm thinking if this is true for the F-Series/F-Series, then it could possibly be so for the E-Series/E-Series.)

Thanks for the comments! Any tidbit is good stuff.

So far, I found that the 2005 E-Series hoses going into the Power Steering Box has METRIC FITTINGS, whereas
the older E-Series (80's to 90's) have STANDARD threaded fittings for the hoses. I'm coming up with a couple
work-arounds for that part.

I will document as I gain on this... (have several other good things going on and will update those threads soon!)

Best regards,
George

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yessir, as you mentioned you will need to adapt std to metric. I am sure there are adapters, however I have never looked for them.
The steering boxes look awefuly similar just looking at my 91 and my 06 so maybe could just port the whole box over.
If you get it done before me post up your review :) i cant wait to feel what whydroboost feels like. I friggin hate the vacuum system. (also quite annoying when your trying to keep the truck from rollign when starting oiut and there is no vacuum available!)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is the WORK AROUND for metric fittings...

Figure out your PS pump, does your NEW reservoir fit your old pump, in other words is the new pump a C2 standard for PUMP? If so just use that res...

Ok lest get on with this a bit. You can get new CUSTOM made lines with Std fittings on pump and powersteering end, and metric on the booster ends....That's what I know..as that's what My Friend Ian did when I sold him my booster.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea. customn lines arent even that expensive.

I have yet to do it, but if my v belt pulley doesnt fit on the new style 05 SD pump then i will jsut use my pump, the the old school F superduty reservoir, and get soem custom lines to hook into the new SD box.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't thought about this before, But I have a E350 superduty sitting waiting for me to harvest its organs for another project...... Will have to watch this.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's something to think about.
custom fabbed parts is great when you are near home. you can wait a few days for parts at worst.
when you are out on the road, that is a whole other story.
if possible, try to stay with off-the-shelf parts if possible. if you can't, have a plan to convert out of the custom fabbed stuff or be faced with a huge tow bill or long wait.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's something to think about.
custom fabbed parts is great when you are near home. you can wait a few days for parts at worst.
when you are out on the road, that is a whole other story.
if possible, try to stay with off-the-shelf parts if possible. if you can't, have a plan to convert out of the custom fabbed stuff or be faced with a huge tow bill or long wait.
What he said. Or, if you're going to do custom stuff (sometimes it's unavoidable), do your best to make it use parts that are stock for other vehicles, preferably ones from the same manufacturer as the vehicle you're working on (in this case Ford).

Regarding the hydroboost situation, buy the proper fittings to make use of AN-ended hydraulic hoses. Adapter fittings threaded into the pump and hydroboost unit and steering box become non-wear items, and what connects them is a hose that can be made at any industrial hydraulic shop, agriculture equipment dealer, large truck service center (including some mobile mechanics), or most NAPA stores. Not quite the off-the-shelf thing most people think of at first, but works almost as good.

Also, here is an idea I hope you find helpful - I would suggest only modifying the factory E-series master cylinder to work with the hydroboost at first (if possible of course), leave the E-series brake pedal in its factory from and just align the hydroboost with its pushrod pin. This works great when installing a hydroboost in a halfton truck or a Bronco, basically you are only replacing one booster with another, without altering anything else - not leverage, not hydraulic ratio, nothing, just increased pedal assist. Basically try to minimize the changes you're make at once, as if you get too carried away you lose your baseline for performance and if things don't work out quite as planned it gets harder to judge what part exactly needs redoing to improve the mess.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the consesnus is: use an F super duty pump, and use a conversion fitting to go metric to AN and custom line?

I have infront of my a 91 f350 pump, an 06 pump, and their respective pulleys.
(here comes the hijack, but its all relative info)
I need my V belt pulley. Im running and 06 chassis with the idi. Old pump is 0.675" shaft OD. I forgot to measure the 06 pump but the shaft is smaller.

Thinking easier to get old F super duty pump, and custom hoses (one side standard from F super pump, then other side metric to SD box), as it will at least botl right up to the bracket. (new pump is totally different mounting)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that any time you do special lines fittings...get two of each so if failure occurs, you have spare! then NEVER be without it

JM2CW

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the consesnus is: use an F super duty pump, and use a conversion fitting to go metric to AN and custom line?
If keeping the V-belt setup (like how you're doing) I'd suggest dumping the Ford C2 pump and going with a Saginaw pump instead. Factory E-series Saginaw pump is quite good to begin with, and if you need more flow and/or higher pressure (for example if running ram-assist) there are a variety of aftermarket pumps available. The direct-fit bracket for the Saginaw pump can be sourced from a '91 and older Econoline with an IDI, or if that's a no-go then the bracket from a '70s big Lincoln can also be made to work easy enough. Added benefit of the Saginaw pump is there is a variety of reservoirs available, allowing you some space above pump for things like OBA compressor or hydraulic pump. AN-fittings for Saginaw pumps are also widely available, not sure what's out there for the C2 style...