NEWER HYDROBOOST? (1998-newer)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do i need the bracket seperate or will it just bolt up the my idi truck engine? (if i buy a saginaw van pump for a diesel?)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do i need the bracket seperate or will it just bolt up the my idi truck engine? (if i buy a saginaw van pump for a diesel?)
The van PS pump bracket will fit your truck engine - you remove your cast-aluminum bracket, and bolt up the stamped-steel van one in its place. The van bracket will accept any Saginaw pump, not just one marketed by the parts store as an Econoline-application, however do keep in mind the E-series do not run hydroboost from the factory and thus their reservoir only has one return line port - you'll have to either add a 2nd one yourself, or buy a different reservoir that already has two ports built in. You can grab the E-series IDI bracket used, buy a new Econoline pump without reservoir, then find an aftermarket reservoir that has return ports in configuration that fits your needs. Or get a pump and its bracket together as a package deal, important part is to get the bracket, one way or another.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah true, gotta find one on ebay, dont have the yards nor the time locally to go hunting for one.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, does anyone know the thread size for the old F-super PS pump? I found some metric to std conversion fittings, just need to know the old fitting size. I dont think its NPT is it?

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg5OH,

You can get a better idea of fittings and stuff from this page, (not affiliated) and scroll down until you see a gold/brass fitting,

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_HD_Delphi_Steering_Pumps

I am still putting my list together for doing the conversion and will post to this thread. My requirements are a little different
in that I have a diesel Van...

Best regards,
George

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm not what im looking for really. Im using an 06 box and an older pump.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! hunting to find the matric size now.. will post when i find it
probably M16 or M18x1.5

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, does anyone know the thread size for the old F-super PS pump? I found some metric to std conversion fittings, just need to know the old fitting size. I dont think its NPT is it?
It's 16mm, 1.5mm pitch IIRC. But it's a weird one, it seals to the pump discharge port fitting via either a o-ring or a Teflon seal, depending on the model year of the pump in question. Pump body itself is always the same tho, so if you found an adapter fitting for an o-ringed port while your F-SD pump uses the teflon seal you can just swap the big fittings around and run whatever adapter you found. FYI '89-down is o-ring, '89-up is teflon, obviously '89 can be either. Also it doesn't need to be a F-SD pump discharge port fitting, any C2 fitting will fit, that should widen your options a bit.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting a littel confused here.

so your saying old Fsuper is 16mm fitting?
Like I said Im using a 2006 SD box and I have the lines and pump from it. Pump wont work without custom brackets, bushing making etc. So i want to use a C2 pump since I already have it, just need an F super reservoir. Unless the saginaw really is that much better. But i would need a metric (SD hose) to std fitting converter i believe?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still putting my list together for doing the conversion and will post to this thread. My requirements are a little different
in that I have a diesel Van...
Yeah, the pump and bracket that you have from the factory in your van is what Greg5OH wants on his truck also. But while he has to source the whole thing, all you need to run AN- pressure hose is something like this:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/Steering/090401-steering-pump-outlet-fitting.html

This replaces the entire factory high-pressure fitting and allows you to run a custom-length AN-6 hose from it to (in your case) the hydroboost. The other option is to grab an AN-6 adapter that threads into your factory high-pressure fitting, as show in this picture here:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1212_power_steering_fix_junkyard_builder/photo_03.html
Which should actually be this fitting here, only in steel and not anodize aluminum as shown in the above pic:
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/16mm-x-6-jic-adapter.html

O-ringed GM and Ford fittings are the quite possibly identical on the Saginaw pumps (at least my digital calipers didn't show any differences), so whatever fits an '81-up GM pump should fit yours as well. Btw take a look thu PSC's fitting offerings, you may very well find most of what you need for your hydroboost plumbing there:
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor.../hose-fittings-seal-kits/fittings-only?cat=32

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is a JIC fitting though? oops nvm, its AN style

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, forgot to write thread size,
Output: 5/8-18 Inverted Flare style end
Inputs: 3/8 barbed
This is for the '80 and older Saginaw pumps (both GM and Ford), your Econoline van have the newer O-ring style. If you swap out the high-pressure pump fitting you can use the 5/8-to-AN6 adapter. That's how we're running a Saginaw pump on a F-Super hydro, the older 5/8" fitting (well it's 3/8" SAE flare, the 5/8" refers to the actual thread) with a part-store-special F-Super replacement pressure hose with the 90-degree lower end cut off and the line double-flared, works like a charm. But since you're doing all AN- hoses that's kind of a moot point, just grab the proper o-ringed AN- adapter and run your pump in its stock configuration.

im getting a littel confused here.
so your saying old Fsuper is 16mm fitting?
Like I said Im using a 2006 SD box and I have the lines and pump from it. Pump wont work without custom brackets, bushing making etc. So i want to use a C2 pump since I already have it, just need an F super reservoir. Unless the saginaw really is that much better. But i would need a metric (SD hose) to std fitting converter i believe?
The F-super pump housing is the same as any other C2 pump housing, only thing different is the dual-return-port reservoir and supposedly the pressure-regulating valve and spring (to provide about 100psi higher line pressure). Meaning you can swap valves and springs and high-pressure fittings to your heart's content, they all will fit the housing properly. And yes, the female thread of the C2 high-pressure fitting, aka the port where the hose threads in, should be 16mm. And this is the case for all C2 pumps, F-super or not. What I was directing your attention to is that there are two ways the hose seals to said high-pressure fitting, older ones use o-ring while newer ones have a teflon seal. You need to know what the high-pressure fitting on your F-super pump is before you buy an adapter to AN- hose. And if you can only find adapters for one style of high-pressure fitting, while your F-super pump has the other, then just hit the junkyard and collect the fitting you need off any C2 pump, be it a F-super or not.

The Saginaw is a good pump. Do you really NEED one, maybe not, but since you're on an upgrading spree, and if your pump can stand a replacement, might as well do the switch. Especially since you're no longer tied by having to use factory pressure hose between the pump and the hydro. If you find an AN- adapter that fits a C2 pump and you have a C2 pump that's in good shape then go for that, it should be quite a bit cheaper than swapping out the entire pump. And the AN- hose will transfer from that to a Saginaw pump if at some later point you decided to go that route, there won't be a need to have a new hose made.

Clear as mud now?