Newbie W/ Clutch Fork Question

arctic-20v

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to oilburners and fairly new idi diesels. Well my roommate for the last two years has a '92 7.3l so I know a little and have a reference for the basics.

a little back ground on my pick-up its an '86 f250 4x4 4speed. I found it on a trailer for sale for $500 bucks in non running condition. It was missing the rad. and hoses battery's, alternator, the box, various small interior parts, side mirrors, other small items, and clutch issues. visual inspection found the inspection plate missing, the clutch fork in the cab, and a new slave zip tied to the frame rail.

Long story short, It looked solid very little rust. Ran a compression test and all cylinders were between 300 and 360 psi. I knew it had to be able to start but didn't want to get it to fire in front of the owner. (instant price increase)

Came back the next day and hauled it away. An hour after having it at my house had it running after some fresh diesel and bleeding air of the lines. Since then I've done return line kit, found a radiator, bought hoses, a box, rear bumper, new filters including a wix water separator to replace the stock one, and inspection plate. Pretty much have everything under the hood done except the alternator. Its coming together well, and i'm doing it on a budget. Only in it for $750 as of now :D

anyways my Clutch Fork Question

My roommate and I are have a hell of a time getting the clutch fork in. Well we get in in the bell housing but it is way loose on TOB. It doesn't seem to have any room for travel. With our hand we can push the fork 1/4" and the back of the fork with contact the back side of "the fork window".

The fork was found in the pickup when I bought it. And has obvious markings of a local junk yard. This combined with I read a thread here earlier saying that the 4speed and zf5 used different sized TOB'ings, thus the forks are different. So I was thinking maybe the previous owner before it was auctioned bought a fork for a 5 speed.

the fork I have has these following numbers stamped on the back of it
- LPI 229G 9 (my best interpretation of the numbers)
- ZTA-7515-AA ( I believe there is more to this number but it is hidden under the "spring" like fork that is riveted on.

Anybody have any insight as to if this is a 4 speed or 5 speed fork?

Thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB.

These are the part numbers I could find associated with the T-19 clutch fork: E3TZ7515B, E4TZ7515B, E6TZ7515A.

This is the part number I could find associated with the ZF5 clutch fork: E7TZ7515A.

The best I can tell, you have a ZF5 clutch fork and that is why it isn't working for you.

You can oder a new T-19 fork from Rock Auto for $20.79.;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fork can be tricky to install if you've never "felt" a correct one before. Common mistakes include getting it behind the collar on the TOB, and not getting it seated on the pivot ball correctly. The T-19 is more forgiving in that a strong light and a mirror will help you decide if you've got it in right. Be sure to grease the Fork in the right spots, and service the trans input sleeve while you are in there. Do a search on my various posts regarding "galling" of the trans input shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online