Newbie intro, and my new hotrod!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score! Just a word of wisdom on the turbo, consider having it rebuilt before you put it on. They are a pain to put on and take off, and you won't enjoy finding out it leaks oil if its prone to do so. When buying gauges, I would recommend Isspro. They have the only cab temperature compensating pyrometer in the industry, and make superior quality products right here in the USA. In fact many of the gauges we order, we have to wait a day or two for them to build them, so we know they are not coming from China.

barr05

Reaction score
Yes! It helps alot! One more question, what is the length of the tube? Thanks for taking the picture.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice score! Just a word of wisdom on the turbo, consider having it rebuilt before you put it on. They are a pain to put on and take off, and you won't enjoy finding out it leaks oil if its prone to do so. When buying gauges, I would recommend Isspro. They have the only cab temperature compensating pyrometer in the industry, and make superior quality products right here in the USA. In fact many of the gauges we order, we have to wait a day or two for them to build them, so we know they are not coming from China.

;Sweet

barr05

Reaction score
Thanks for the help bullfisher and OLDBULL8. You both made the fabrication job a lot easier!

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its been awhile and so far I've ditched the dually wheels and she's sittin on 33's, rides nice and looks good! I've also had the turbo rebuilt along with updated seals and backing plate (rotomaster T04b). Im still on the fence about my old first gen banks kit. Its ready to install, im just not sure its the right kit for me. So my question is, what can else can I do to maximize power besides a turbo and exhaust without risking my stock head gasket? Can you replace the head studs with the heads on one at a time, or are the head gaskets themselves the problem? I'm not lookin to win any races here but I live in washington state and there is no shortage of steep grades here. I would like to be able to tow some weight doing the speed limit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well its been awhile and so far I've ditched the dually wheels and she's sittin on 33's, rides nice and looks good! I've also had the turbo rebuilt along with updated seals and backing plate (rotomaster T04b). Im still on the fence about my old first gen banks kit. Its ready to install, im just not sure its the right kit for me. So my question is, what can else can I do to maximize power besides a turbo and exhaust without risking my stock head gasket? Can you replace the head studs with the heads on one at a time, or are the head gaskets themselves the problem? I'm not lookin to win any races here but I live in washington state and there is no shortage of steep grades here. I would like to be able to tow some weight doing the speed limit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Awesome!! Any updated pics? ;Sweet

As to the heads. Regarding studs, it is possible to put most of the studs in one at a time without pulling the heads. However, there isn't enough clearance above the heads at the back of the engine to get the last 5 or so studs in. Even with bolts, you have to leave those bolts in when you pull the heads, and put the bolts back in the head before putting the heads back on the engine. More to the point...there are problems with the original head gaskets in and of themselves, so IMHO it would be good preventative maintenance to replace the head gaskets if you're putting a turbo on. Ideally, you would want to pull the pistons, install a deck plate, torque the deck plate down with the studs, rehone the cylinder walls, and then remove the deck plate and put everything together, but IMHO even without the honing work, studs are a considerable upgrade over bolts.

As to other sources of power...an intercooler would be a good thing to have. Unless you did a water-to-air setup, getting an intercooler on a slant-nose front end will take some creativity, and it won't be cheap, but it's basically free power...it'll cool the intake temperature enough to get the exhaust temp down, so you can add fuel without risking a meltdown. I contend that a wastegated turbo (i.e. a late-model Banks or an ATS 093) would be better than a non-gated turbo, but there are differing schools of thought on that. If you want to get more exotic, you could do water or propane injection, but be very careful to not overdo it!! Someone did water injection and put too much water in the spray, and ended up eroding the tops off of all the pistons.

Hope that helps some...good luck! ;Sweet BTW, you're not offering the Alcoas up for sale by chance, are you? :sly

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff warden! With 70k on it I think I'd rather push the stock setup with a low boost turbo, exhaust, and maybe a slightly larger pump? Would this be enough poop for what I'm trying to achieve?

The alcoa's and the dually kit are gone..LOL

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk with Mel (Agnem on here) he has all the goodies for these motors and has put a lot of time into getting them right.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
Looks like a wealth of info here. I'm Joe from WA state and happend upon an 86' crewcab factory hiboy.
The seller said he bought it new in 86' and had 71,000 original miles on it. While I thought he was full of BS I couldn't help but notice how good of shape it was in. To my suprise I found several indications he was telling the truth. Pedals seamed new as did the floor where a heal hole should be. The shifter boots, door panels and roof were immaculate. EVERYTHING works. The cigarette lighter had never been used. The diesel only fuel labels are still wraped around both filler caps. Upon removal of the canopy I discovered the bed bolts were spotless and free of rust. And of course it runs great! While its not without a couple bumps bruises and a couple after market parts. I think I scored a gem. I even found a used turbo online for $100 which appears to be complete and in good shape. I hope to be picking some brains soon!

i have been a Ford F series enthusist since 1979.
i may be fairly new here and in the coal burning world.
but one thing is for certain. these trucks are not hotrods.

However badass they may be, these trucks were ment to haul hotrods :)

your truck is super clean. i hope you dont slap 100 dollar parts on it and hope for the best.
everyone here is committed to these trucks, a informative, willing to help community.

ask LOTS if questions. most will be answerd.
if you get flamed. learn from your mistakes and grow.

bottom line. TAKE CARE OF THAT JEWEL!!!