New turbo DOA?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My back is all fired up this morning and I had to smile at something.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, the cannister can be removed easily and the dents drilledout so youcan adjust the spring pressure. The shorter the rod the more spring pressure is applied to keeping the wastegate closed. So more boost is made to overcome the spring cannister pressure. The spring holds the gate closed at all time. About regulating the compresser lbs. Let the pressure go down to nothing in your tank. then start it up and see how much pressure your thumb can hold back on the end of the lines. Around 6 or 7 lbs will be easy for your thumb to hold back. I'm sure your compresser has a line regulater on it somewhere. If not Harbor Freight will have a cheap one use regulater for cheap...

wmoguy

Reaction score
just wire the thing shut!

nah I would prefer the gate in use. 2 reasons:

1. Faster spoolup (thats a big deal in Colorado/Altitude)
2. I'm not studded, and frankly it was a bit of a chore to keep her below 15 psi in the hills when I'd dropped down a gear. I'd like the piece of mind knowing a mechanical device has my back in case I forget/have a brain fart

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The spool up with be the same with or without a functioning wastegate. If the turbo was VGT, that would be a different story. The max boost, on the other hand, I totally understand.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
just the more reason to stud it!

You should see my truck running down the road. I smoke like crazy till i hit 12psi then it starts to clear up. i'm running 15 usually around town.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just the more reason to stud it!

You should see my truck running down the road. I smoke like crazy till i hit 12psi then it starts to clear up. i'm running 15 usually around town.

hell my truck never stops smoking if im foot to the floor. ran her past a 100 yesterday and still had smoke..