New truck, need help with trans issues

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well thats cheaper than any trans rebuild, so thats a good thing. Is yours a divorced unit in place of the carrier or is it attached to the driveline? Ive got a divorced gv thats in working order.
Plus there's no $200 tow. I didn't realize that there was both attached and divorced options. That divorced unit would be awesome to have. That's almost like a small lottery win right there!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled the GV back up, no change. It really feels like it's coming from the rear end. I pulled the diff cover and took a vid. The shaking happens even at idle with foot on brake. I can't tell if it's coming from the trans,GV or rear end...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the driveshaft to see if the rear turns freely? I chewed up c-clip in my old chevy and it acted similar. I doubt that's your problem but if the problem is in the rear you should feel it at the pinion yoke.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't turned it with the driveshaft off, but when it's on stands it spins perfectly fine and I can't see any chewed teeth or anything.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. I lifted the driver side off the ground and put it in drive. Felt fine. Lowered it down and did the same to the passenger side.. Immediately started shaking. Stripped axle shaft??

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled both shafts, unfortunately everything looked fine. So I put them back in and tried both sides one at a time again. Now it does it on both sides... It feels like something is hanging up/binding/sticking. When I hit the brakes it gets way worse. I'm just going to pull the GV and take it apart . If all is well I'll pull the trans and have it gone through.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I decided to pull the drums just to further eliminate the rear end. I am skeptical that this would cause the issues, but looky what I found on the passenger side. The picture angle sucks but the spring is broken. You can see in the drum where it has been rubbing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well poop. I tossed new drum hardware on and it didn't fix it. I figured, but was hoping haha. Time to drop the GV and trans pan.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gv is out. No obvious issues. I'm going to drop the trans pan and take the GV apart.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We will find out shortly! I'm leaning towards the same thing. I just don't understand what internally could cause it to do what it's doing.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys. Here's what she looks like. That was all from today, because yesterday I dropped it and cleaned it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726