New truck, need help with trans issues

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it is the trans I'll pull it and take it in to the trans shop and see what they will do for me.
Before you do this, take the truck there so you can show them what it's doing if they want to see it. Besides if they won't do anything but take your money, you can drive to another shop and show them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another reason to leave the transmission in your truck is that if they decide that it's probably the valve body, it can be removed with the transmission in the truck. Just drain the fluid, drop the pan, remove the filter, and remove the valve body.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish that was an option for me. I live outside of town and it's a $300 tow one way to get it to town. It isn't driveable right now. I would have to pull it and take it in. I'm waiting for it to cool off outside , then I'll see if I can narrow down the issue.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update.. I rewired the GV. I'm not sure how it's suppose to work. I need to find a manual on it. Is the green light only suppose to come on when the GV kicks on? Drive,2nd, and 1st all do the same thing. Under a load it slips and shutters. Reverse seems fine... Maybe because it has a higher pressure?? I put it on stands and it wasn't doing it, so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. The trans looks like it's a quart low, but it was dark so I'll recheck it in the morning.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it was a quart low but it didn't fix it. With the rear end off the ground it will shift through all gears fine and doesn't appear to slip. Put the wheels on the ground and it shakes and slips HORRIBLY. Fluid looks fine, doesn't smell burnt. Trans shop said they need it in the truck for diagnosis... So I'm looking at a $200 tow to get it there. It almost feels like it's slipping in the rear end... Is it possible for the diff to slip in forward gears but not reverse?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I screwed around with it a little more. It sometimes does it in reverse. But always in forward gears. If I put it in gear with my foot on the brake, at idle, the driveshaft attempts to spin and thunks over and over. Any idea what would be allowing the driveshaft to do this?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a center carrier on your driveline (extended cabs)? If so, you could check this. U-joints look good? Weird the drive line would be clunking with brakes applied.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an extended cab with the center bearing . But everything feels tight. The clunk and vibration is forward more.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check the band adjustment at all? Just curious. I can understand not wanting to mess with it while under warranty.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just out of warranty so I don't mind working on it. But I don't have a small enough torque wrench so I can't adjust it right now. I think it calls for 10ftlb and mine starts at 25.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I put it in gear with my foot on the brake, at idle, the driveshaft attempts to spin and thunks over and over. Any idea what would be allowing the driveshaft to do this?
Are you sure that it's the driveshaft? I'm no transmission expert, but I'm wondering if the noise is from something in the transmission itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online