New truck, need help with trans issues

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might not be the driveshaft. But I see it try to spin ever so slight and clunk, over and over. Put it on stands and it doesn't do it, shifts fine and no noise. Set the wheels down and it does it. It only happens with a load on it. While I had it in the air I put the ebrake on to mimick a load and it didn't do it. I have no clue what to do with it. On the ground it feels like catastrophic failure, tires off the ground no issues.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid looks and smells perfect. I put a stethoscope all over the drivetrain and didn't notice any weird sounds, with it in the air. I'm going to go put it back on the ground and check again, hopefully I don't run myself over.. haha

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's coming from in the transmission I expect that would be bad...
I did buy a 1984 Mustang with an automatic transmission that made a clunking noise sometimes. If you were easy on the throttle, it was ok, but if you gave it very much throttle, it would clunk pretty badly. I don't know what it was. I changed the transmissions and the problem was gone.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This video doesn't show how bad it is sometimes but you can kind of see what's going on.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for S&G, drain a bit of fluid from the overdrive unit, make sure it’s not full of glitter. I know technically that’s supposed to still be able to put power through it, but if it locked up at some point and something snapped, I could see that making a noise and doing what it’s doing.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It definitely feels like it's towards the rear of the GV and not the trans. But shouldn't the truck just grenade the GV if something was broken, and not slip?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here is everything that came out... From what I've read it should have about 1 quart. No big chunks, screen looked fine but definitely friction(?) material...
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im no expert in the overdrive units, but Id wager you found your issue there. I would send the pictures to GV and see what they say.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately from what I've read they will not sell parts to fix it. They will only rebuild it. I am going to clean it up and toss some oil in it and see what it does. Hopefully that is just built up friction material due to lack of oil changes.. I'm not sure how much is normal, but it seems like a lot. I will give them a call if new fluid doesn't fix it. I tried emailing them awhile back but have not received a response.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with GV. Super nice guy. He said if it was any hard parts it wouldn't get up to speed on stands. So he thinks it's clutches. He said he does think it is the GV unit. So I'm going to go toss new fluid in and see what it does. If it still slips I'll pull the GV and tear it apart. He said he does still have seals and clutches, but hard parts would have to be sourced used. A rebuild is $900. Wish me luck!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats cheaper than any trans rebuild, so thats a good thing. Is yours a divorced unit in place of the carrier or is it attached to the driveline? Ive got a divorced gv thats in working order.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a married unit. Big long adapter from the trans to the GV unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726