New transmission time

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, but is the harmonic balancer good?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far as I can tell, it's fine. No reason to suspect it's not. I double checked the timing with my MT-1480 the other day, and it was right on. I tinkered around with advancing/retarding the timing to see if it made any difference and it didn't change anything. Right now, the idle is set at about 950RPM to keep it tolerable. It runs and drives great, just sounds like hell at a stoplight...

RedTruck

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts here. I wonder if you could crack a line or two and see if it changes. Thought here is to give you enough of an idea as to if it's coming from diesel rattle or something else, and it's easy and free. In heath's updates to his crew he found that the pressure plate holes were miss drilled in his flywheel causing vibration. There is a zf5 swap article in the tech section that lists a clutch with springs for the smf swaps. I don't know if this would work for your arrangement, but I dont think anyone has complained about roll over noise with that clutch. With you fairly certain it started after the clutch install I wonder if it you shouldn't start looking into that more. Please keep us posted.

Paul

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are photos of the exhaust on the down pipe side. No interference with the trans, engine, or firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpg
    IMG_2949.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 23

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard a word about the pilot bearing, I would assume this was new with the clutch change and then inspected on the new tranny install. Not likely even if it was missing would you have that kind of noise on or off clutch but figured I would throw it out there

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I still think its somewhere between the flywheel and pressure plate.

It seems these SMFs are more often coming up JUNK

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pilot bearing is fine, Throwout bearing is fine. It's definitely in the clutch, as it stops as soon as I press the pedal. I'm thinking I'm gonna find a nice DMF and buy a disc and plate for it.

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I FINALLY fixed this damn thing. 12 months, and several attempts, it was that damn clutch all along. I installed a LUK kit tonight and it's as quiet as it was with the DMF. Better late than never I suppose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 76

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the game but I came across something like this the other day in an old gasser I was working on. Turned out to be the pressure plate in my case which made me remember a pressure plate I replaced back in like 89 or 90 on a Ford that just rattled with the fingers as loose as they were. And that one was pretty new as well. I remember that because at the time I was in college and could barely afford to replace it and did so late at night in a car wash as it rained outside. Ahh, memories...

Glad you found the solution! I use Luk clutches quite a bit as well

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LUK kit has 10 damping springs in the clutch hub, 4 large and 6 smaller. The Sachs kit has 8 smaller springs. From what I can tell, the LUK disc just has a better ability to soak up the pulses from the engine.

The Sachs kit was fine functionally. Engagement was smooth and easy, it just sounded like hell at idle. It was like that from the moment I installed it. I should have just stopped then and got it exchanged. I knew better. But I chased other problems, including a new trans before I got smart and went back to what started it.

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726