New trans finally!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all on this forum for the advice over many months - finding a shop to diagnose and replace my trans (e40D) was not easy . . too many fly by nights and my experience with Ford where they flat out lied and were caught did not help. Going with a Napa shop that is going to install a remaned unit using Sonnax components and 18,000mile warranty - trans is 1525.00, labor about 675.00 and will thoroughly flush old trans cooler, plumb in additional aux cooler and a inline filter to catch any errant debris in system that may remain. The builder said he would put his build up against any Ford remaned stuff and the shop that is going to install has both a close relationship with builder over many years and has excellent reviews. Hopefully, I will be happy with final build and can go on and lift my van, build the camper interior, etc. Finally decided to not take the 4x4 route at this time and instead decided to go with a rear locker which should get me out of most traction issues for a van that will see roads and some minor off road here and there . . a poor man's build. Onward, upward!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you made some good decissions about a worthy trans. Are you or do you have a tran temp gauge installed. If not please do one. I have mine in the back side of the deep Mag Hitech pan. It holds an extra 2 gallons of trans fluid..:eek::thumbsup:;Sweet:D Its nice knowing I have an extra 2 gallons below the mt line on the stick...:angel: They are expensive but well worth the cost. I found mine on ebay from a seller in my home town. No ahipping or ebay costs either. Just ment him in a parking lot and made the sale.. The factory is only about 35 miles from me too so I went there to buy an o-ring for the pan seal and a new drain plug. Really nice business to deal with.