New to me 88 7.3 F250

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Got a new to me 88 F250XLT 7.3. Looks like someone has already put Hypermax pyrometer and boost gauge (in the same pod) and turbo.

Good: Interior looks good, has a gooseneck hitch and brake controller. Power windows and door locks still work. Also it has sat for well over a year but started today was in the high 20's low 30's and the batteries got a little help from my 97 powerstroke and the high idle [emoji4] but she started and ran good. Looks like on the odometer it has 87k and some change so probably 187k.

Bad: passenger side lines to injectors are leaking, bad leak from fuel pump on block is leaking.

Have to have someone follow me home with it so should be at the house and starting to get it ready for DMV and then on the road.

Any suggestions/criticism please feel free. I am decent with powerstrokes but new to idi's. Thanks

Here's a link to a short video. Sorry dunt know how else to attach it.

https://youtu.be/t455Eyq9wkI

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the stickies and tech articles...for noobs lol start here...read read...read

These are stupid simple dumbed down as easy as an old tractor engine

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Grew up on a farm pretty good with old tractors, just wanted to see if it would run tonight, haven't put more than 30min into it yet but looking forward to the stickies and tech articles. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction .

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Finally got a day off to work on her and found the fuel line that feeds the drivers side had no clamp on it, the fuel line that goes from the drivers side injectors to the first injector on passenger side lines was broke off completely, no clamps on the turbo boot. That's all for now. Took a break because it is cold outside and needed to warm my hands up. Get out back together and see what leaks next.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The return lines are the small rubber hoses running between the injectors. The plastic caps on each injector is also part of this return line set. We recommend replacing all of this and to purchase a quality kit from our known sources. Now you mentioned the feed lines are leaking or something is broken. Well the injector supply lines are commonly referred to as injector hard lines. The connect to the back of the injection pump and the top of the injector. They are steel lines and can't be swapped around or bent to fit a location. The also MUST HAVE the vibration clamps in place on both sides. If they are missing the lines vibrate because of the fuel pulses and break. No matter what question you may have please ask before you do much repairs or parts replacements. Ebay has some very shadey sellers telling you they are the best when in fact they are less than that by a long ways. Read the Hall of Shame forum to see who is cheating the unknown public.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Yay no more puddle of diesel fuel when it sits and idles.

Now for the bad...

Apparently the shop who just did all of this didn't get one of the injector caps on all the way or nicked the oring on the #8 injector so I am going to order a return line kit so I know everything is done new and hope not to nick an oring. Have to fix the exhaust because its just hobbled together and try to find a,I think it's called, bell housing cover for my zf5.

For some reason the Hypermax pyrometer and boost gauge only work part of the time. Is it common for the gauge to go bad? Haven't checked the boost line or wire yet just curious. Pics to come soon.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Never had a zf before only e4od didn't know if it was essential. Still had em on farm trucks cuz pop didn't like leaving em off.

Thank you

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Got some parts in... Just waiting on return line kit to come in then new injectors go in and hopefully get her on the road.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726