new to idi's

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been watching for a while, but this is my first post.

I just sold my 99 powerstroke and bought a 93 IDI CC. I can't wait to start working on it, but I have some questions for the experts.

If I go with a 4" straight pipe can it hurt anything but ears? I have read about turning up the pump, but how will that effect MPG (15now;Sweet )?

Finally, I can't afford a turbo now, or at least she says I can'tLOL , so what is a good mod for the intake? Can I cut the sides out and add a K&N or Green element or will that help?

almost forgot, SLE what part of soho are you from? I am in Brown Co.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have been watching for a while, but this is my first post.

I just sold my 99 powerstroke and bought a 93 IDI CC. I can't wait to start working on it, but I have some questions for the experts.

If I go with a 4" straight pipe can it hurt anything but ears? I have read about turning up the pump, but how will that effect MPG (15now;Sweet )?

Nope, many on here run straight pipe, but it is loud!

Finally, I can't afford a turbo now, or at least she says I can'tLOL , so what is a good mod for the intake? Can I cut the sides out and add a K&N or Green element or will that help?

Check out your air cleaner. Some have a bowl shaped protrusion from the air cleaner lid. Get rid of it if it has one. I have only seen them on the early 6.9's. I have an 87, which uses many of the parts used on the 7.3 a year later. In my aircleaner (not sure if the 7.3 has it or not) there is an "insert" for lack of a better word, that necks the bottom of the air cleaner housing to like 3 inches. The intake size is 5 1/8" on mine, so it effectively cuts the opening from the air cleaner to the intake in half. If you pull the lid off the air cleaner, look down into the intake and see a 3 inch hole, pull the air cleaner bottom off and then look at the intake. You will immediatly see what I mean. This piece looks like an afterthought and can be removed very easily. While I never dyno'ed mine before and after, it sounds much more throaty and I am certain it picked up a little power. Not turbo power, but breaths much better.

almost forgot, SLE what part of soho are you from? I am in Brown Co.

The closest town that anybody has heard of is Athens, Ohio - the college party capital of Ohio!!! :)

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have spent a few nights in athens. . . details are a little foggy though.:drunk:

What about the pump? if I only turn it one flat am I gonna have to worry about a meltdown or crappy mileage?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would put a pyro meter on the truck before you start cranking up the pump. then you can keep an eye on it and not have worry or guess if your truck is getting to that magical 1200 mark. I haven't done this yet but i don't believe turning the pump up affects the mileage but more the person driving it enjoying the new power that drops the mpg.

if you dont have a turbo and you straight pipe the truck it will be loud!!! i have dropped the mufflers on my trucks and it was to loud for me and i enjoy a nice set of glass packs. 4" with a nice straight through muffler sounds good though.