"New" superduty woes

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I drain a torque convertor, I'll put 9 or 10 quarts of ATF in the transmission and then start the engine.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
When I drain a torque convertor, I'll put 9 or 10 quarts of ATF in the transmission and then start the engine.

Got it, thats about how much I got out of it and refilled it. Whats the best way to spin the torque convert around to find the plug? I was going to just remove the inspection cover and blip the starter until I see it but is there another way? Is it even possible to rotate this engine with a wrench on the crank?

ISPKI

Reaction score
I am thinking that I will probably end up dropping the pan and if I do I will weld in a drain plug.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is it even possible to rotate this engine with a wrench on the crank?
It sure is except with a deep 15/16" socket. I've even been known to get a small pry bar and push that against the teeth on the flywheel. I don't use it as a lever. That would take too long. What I do is keep the end in my hand and then push against the teeth while keeping the bar and my arm in a straight line. These engines really turn over easily considering the compression that they have.

ISPKI

Reaction score
It sure is except with a deep 15/16" socket. I've even been known to get a small pry bar and push that against the teeth on the flywheel. I don't use it as a lever. That would take too long. What I do is keep the end in my hand and then push against the teeth while keeping the bar and my arm in a straight line. These engines really turn over easily considering the compression that they have.

That is interesting, alright i'll give it a drive.

I did managed to tap and install a helicoil into that stripped hole on the pan. New bolt tightened up perfectly and no more leak.

I also replaced the cab to frame grounds and the cable from battery "+" to the starter relay on the fender which was frayed and corroded with a new 1/0. Truck primes the plugs for exactly 8 seconds and fires up so easily now. Very refreshing compared to my old truck.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well I drove it around after doing that work and so far it is doing just fine. It does this little half shift moments before doing a full shift.

I did check the FIPL and noticed that it is swung fully to one side of it's bracket so I am going to look at that. So far, has not gone into limp mode yet after putting about 20 miles on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online