"New" superduty woes

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I drain a torque convertor, I'll put 9 or 10 quarts of ATF in the transmission and then start the engine.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
When I drain a torque convertor, I'll put 9 or 10 quarts of ATF in the transmission and then start the engine.

Got it, thats about how much I got out of it and refilled it. Whats the best way to spin the torque convert around to find the plug? I was going to just remove the inspection cover and blip the starter until I see it but is there another way? Is it even possible to rotate this engine with a wrench on the crank?

ISPKI

Reaction score
I am thinking that I will probably end up dropping the pan and if I do I will weld in a drain plug.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is it even possible to rotate this engine with a wrench on the crank?
It sure is except with a deep 15/16" socket. I've even been known to get a small pry bar and push that against the teeth on the flywheel. I don't use it as a lever. That would take too long. What I do is keep the end in my hand and then push against the teeth while keeping the bar and my arm in a straight line. These engines really turn over easily considering the compression that they have.

ISPKI

Reaction score
It sure is except with a deep 15/16" socket. I've even been known to get a small pry bar and push that against the teeth on the flywheel. I don't use it as a lever. That would take too long. What I do is keep the end in my hand and then push against the teeth while keeping the bar and my arm in a straight line. These engines really turn over easily considering the compression that they have.

That is interesting, alright i'll give it a drive.

I did managed to tap and install a helicoil into that stripped hole on the pan. New bolt tightened up perfectly and no more leak.

I also replaced the cab to frame grounds and the cable from battery "+" to the starter relay on the fender which was frayed and corroded with a new 1/0. Truck primes the plugs for exactly 8 seconds and fires up so easily now. Very refreshing compared to my old truck.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well I drove it around after doing that work and so far it is doing just fine. It does this little half shift moments before doing a full shift.

I did check the FIPL and noticed that it is swung fully to one side of it's bracket so I am going to look at that. So far, has not gone into limp mode yet after putting about 20 miles on it.