New Member, Need H.E.L.P. !

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
Hey Ladies And Gentlemen, i got my hands on a STEAL of a DEAL. $750 picked up a 1994 F-350 DRW with the 7.3 IDI Turbo, ZF5 & 410s. I only made it 10 miles before i determined the turbo is cooked, it desperately needs injectors, glow plugs, glow plug solenoid, but most importantly a turbo... It still has the factory Garret btw.

Im fixing this truck up to be a daily driver because ive been in love with diesels after working on my fathers '91 F-350 with the IDI. I have nearly no money, but im not scared to spend a whole day working on my truck to make it better any way i can and ANY EXTRA PARTS that someone could spare me would surely come as a Blessing! Thanks, Eli

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. As asked above.. What makes you feel all that stuff needs to be repaired. The factory turbos are an easy fix by someone that knows how to repair them. Do not attempt to fix the turbo yourself. They spin at such a high rpm you will ruin them if you can't balance them to way less than a 10th of a gram. they spin upwards of 130,000 rpm.... Typ4 is about the best we have for rebuilding these turbos. He is located in Oregon too. He sells return line kits, injectors and a few other parts. Mel who goes by Agnem also sells a really great injector and injection pump. Please read the Hall of Shame fourm. See who not to buy from on thebay sites. We list the members that have gotten a rotten deal from these horrible sellers.

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
absolutely no spool even with 3 inch turbo-back exhaust and then at 55mph it locked up and sounded like the engine was rattling and there was so much deep black diesel smoke that it covered 2 lanes of I-85. i shut it down in less than 3 seconds of it happening and towed it on home. still turns over, but i have it on charge for tonight. all my research points to the turbo, and then the fact that the injectors are ******* fuel.

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
and thanks icanfixall for the welcome aboard, i have no plans on attempting repair as i am hoping to find someone with a spare to do a direct swap. i dont know, maybe ill get lucky and someone will donate a thing or two?:sly

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting about the turbo rebuild. i did mine myself in the garage, and put almost 10k miles on it already since with no issues at all.

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score

do you by any chance have a used set of injector with any life left on them? this thing sure does start hard and have a nasty miss that ive come the find is 2 cylenders on the drivers side. but i put a lot of diesel kleen additive and it sure helped clear up some smoke and smoothed some!

Reaction score
94 it might not be the injectors but possibly the injectors seals or the injectors return lines. These trucks are beasts and it takes a lot to kill an injector. Check those for leaks. Now if you take the intake off and you can reach in and feel the compressor wheel with the truck off see if there is any play if there is then the bearings need to be replaced. If you need that then I believe you have a 093 ats turbo which is a wastgeated turbo. I don't have any spares I can loan you but check those and if you have any seals or hoses leaking then they are really cheap to fix

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
As far as your glow plug issues, having just redone mine I can say that the resources available here (tech articles, old threads) are invaluable. With a multimeter you can figure out what needs to be fixed in an afternoon/ evening. Since it sounds like you are poor like me, you can replace any bad ones for under $10 each and set up a manual push button bypass to get you going without too much trouble. A new controller will set you back $200 or so for an OEM, maybe $100 for knock-off; if you don't ****** the system too bad, you can bypass it now and save up for a controller if cost is an issue. It may be you just have a bunch of bad gps and the controller's OK. Test 'em and find out!

Yes, I am THAT poor! :rolleyes:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Welcome to Oil Burners, the best place for a solid base of information and tried and tested techniques for repairs and so forth.

You have mentioned quite a bit in the list of whats wrong, perhaps isolating each system and resolving problems one at a time from least expensive upward you may gain a better understanding of the rig and what's truly needing service. Maybe some time spent testing and checking the systems.

Again welcome and enjoy the forum!

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
Thanks for the continued support everyone! A quick update: Confirmed diesel fuel in the oil...
fixed the 3 drivers side injector leaks with new o-rings and.... WALA! The horrible smoking is gone :D
planning an oil change tomorrow
started taking apart the turbo and realized thats a MAJOR Pain to deal with, but i still have massive ammounts of smoke rolling out of the back of the turbo....
atleast the turbine is in great condition with little play in it. any ideas as to the smoke off the turbo? spools nicely now, but very hard starting still (i sometimes have to give it half throttle to fire off, and she still stumbles.)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have a turbo on my truck so I cannot help you in that area. I simply don't have enough experience with idi turbo systems and apologize in advance.
For the fuel in oil, in most cases this is the lift pump mounted on the passenger side of engine block. The internal rubber diaghpram has torn which is leaking fuel into your crankcase and will cause hard starting when cold. This will also cause lack of performance. Read existing lift pump threads for proper installation if this is your problem.
No use in doing an oil change until you fix lift pump problem. Hope this information helps you and welcome!

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
thanks hydro, i drained my oil and i had nearly a gallon of diesel in the oil.... grrrr just bought the truck on monday. turns out it was bought new to be a farm truck, fully loaded, even cruise control with the ZF-5. the old man got in bad health, and he let it sit for 5 years until the guy i bought it off of traded $60 of plumbing work for it, put batteries in it, got it cranked and ran the fire outa it for about a year until the starter went out, so he replaced it 2 months later, took it for a drive and he said "the motor made a noise i have NEVER heard from a diesel my whole life so i shut it down and called my dad to pull me in with the tractor" he has a beautiful powerstroke, but he doesnt know hardly anything about diesels so he parked it and said first 850 gets it.

first time we got it cranked it smoked so bad, and was missing terrible, but i was able to drive it around the yard and it seemed to move pretty sweet. so i bought it, and didnt make it 4 miles before the tow dolley warped under the weight, luckily i had my tools so me and my dad spent 4 hours replacing the water pump on it, got it back running, and drove it a total of 10 miles before it done what he said had happened to him. except i had never seen such a black cloud from an exhaust. shut it down within 5 seconds, towed it in the next day, and been turning wrenches every day since.

had a friend stop by that is a nut about the 6.9/7.3 and was a cummins mechanic for atleast 20 years, he checked and verified atleast one injector bad.
so my goals tomorrow is to fill it back up with oil and take it out for a short run, maybe it will clear up?