New member here with a "new" 1985 4x4 F250

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a 1985 F250 4x4, 6.9 diesel, 4 speed regular cab long bed with what the owner swears is 99,000 original miles.

OK before you ask, I am not sure if I overpaid - $2850.00.... BUT the truck is straight, clean and most important RUST FREE. ( being in the north east RUST is the killer here) I have not picked it up yet - the truck is in New Mexico. It runs good - glow plugs and battery and electric fuel pump were just replaced....

1. Am I completely insane to fly out there and drive this 2300 miles back home?
2. If I do take the chance to drive what else should i service / change / look for before I make the trip and wind up stuck in the middle of nowhere?

My plans are to deal with the immediate issues of the truck when i get home and then put it to work for 6 months or so then restore it and repaint it - reading the posts and info here I already feel indebted to the folks on this board for the information they have shared.

I have owned a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 that was a great truck, I also currently own a 2003 VW TDI that is one of the most incredible cars that I have ever had. I will never go back to gasoline vehicles again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I don't know what to say about driving that far without knowing the truck... Generally speaking the engines are bullit proof. Hopefully you will have a set of 3.55 gears but it could have 4.10 gears. Probably being a 4x4 it will be 4.10. These engines will run at red line all day long but use lots of fuel doing that. They are a great engine for long lifes running hard all the time. Being an 85 should be the good block and not the first early blocks that cracked near the block heater ports. With 99 or 399 thousand miles these engines just run and run. About the only part on your engine thats thought of as being the weak link in the chain is the original head gaskets. You may or may not have those. It just depends if they failed the that owner had them replaced. Other than that these are the better engines...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The main complaint I have heard about the 4x4 is the death wobble, a condition that will shake you up at about 45-50 mph. If it exists in your truck, it will be a very long trip home. It takes some detective work to fix, and is usually a set of bushings that need to be replaced. Otherwise, if it runs and stops, it will be OK to drive as far as you like.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

I would so drive it back! However, the simple things first: replace the fuel filter, have the charging system tested, change the oil, check/topoff trans oil, test/adjust the back brakes, (DO NOT USE THE PARKING BRAKE UNLESS YOU CAN CHANGE THE CABLE! These trucks can have a problem with sticky cables, it would suck to lock them on miles and miles from home) and hit every zerk with grease. Pick up another lift pump, and make sure you bring the tools to change it on the road. (watch the oil, as a bad lift pump will pump fuel into the crankcase) I'd also plan to have a HEFTY jump pack few quarts of trans fluid in case you run into air intrusion problems.

ALSO! Find a way to update while on the road. There are quite a few members between there and your home. I know I've got about a 100 mile rescue range for OB members, and I'm not the only one. There's a 911diesel down section with alot of members' phone #'s, take a look there. Be sure to post here if you don't get a response, or cannot find a # in the diesel down forum.

PICS! YOU HAVE TO POST THEM! =P

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Echoing what said above. I own a 85 6.9 and I am running 410's. I know that the engine itself is bulletproof, it loves to work and hard.

You did mention an electric fuel pump, and since stock on these trucks, both the lift pump and injector pump are mechanical, I suspect they went with the electric lift pump replacement which is pretty common of a thing to do on these trucks. If this is the case, some of the concerns about the lift pump mentioned earlier may not apply to you, if so, then that's just less to worry about.

If you have the taller gearing you will know real soon, buy some extra fuel cause you are going to need it.

Other than mentioned above, check for obvious stuff like signs of leaking around the return lines and floaties in the coolant/coolant level/coolant colour, oil level/colour, diff fluid level etc. Anything that might be a sign of impending pain at some point in the trip.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROAD TRIP!!

Don't be afraid to switch tanks when it acts like it's out of fuel but the gauge still shows one quarter tank.

You will get many good suggestions here. My two cents; Stop at the first boat place/WalMart and get a 6 gallon marine tank, squeezey bulb and hose. Fill it with diesel, add the tools necessary to tie the tank into the filter head.

In the event of air intrusion or running out of fuel, set the tank on the roof and pressure the line. It can save dead batteries, fried starters, and a host of other issues.

Of course, your truck may not be the worn out pieces of crap that I typically buy. Just saying.

Good luck. You'll do fine.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where abouts you in connecticut? I lived there many years, and am actually heading back there on tuesday ha. Don't miss that ol state. But anyways, IMO New mexico is a bit of a haul. If you're unsure of the price as it sits, add plane ticket, fuel for the drive home, time off from work, etc. Now think of that total price and start browsing the south. the southern east coast should have plenty for you in that price range and still be rust free. just my two pennies. welcome to the site.

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
sounds like its gonna be a fun trip home. all the above posts ahev covered basically all the things u should check. so i will just add good luck!

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU ALL, and thanks for the welcome...I know the gearing on the truck - not sure if its the 4:10's or not. Its taking a chance not knowing the truck - believe it or not I picked up my 1985 toyota Landcruiser in Austin in 2001 and drove it back - a bit of a headache but nothing major than a starter and then points, and my VW I picked up in Tennessee and drove it back ( that was an easy one) Seems as if every few years I find a vehicle online and fly out and drive it back,,,,long term mid life crisis I guess, still cheaper than having an affair!

The quotes from the transport companies to bring this truck home range from 990 - 1500$. cheaper than what it will cost me to fly and drive when all is said and done.

Warhog I am in Shelton CT , well not yet actually I am in NYC but waiting to close on a house in Shelton and no where have I seen a cleaner 1985 - I am paying a premium all things considered but the truck will get a good home and I dont have to chop out rust - at least not yet!

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics

They are not great....
You must be registered for see images attach
but its all I can download from my phone now

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LandCruiser is a 1985 FJ-60. When I say its triple mint rust free I mean it. Its been in storage since 2005 -Its awaiting a diesel transplant as soon as I find a suitable donor

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners...best place for info on these trucks and engines bar none...

Hope you have a great trip..

Take a bit of time, check into the FAQ's and tech articles as there is tons of usefull info in there that may answer questions Before you post them, and if you have stuff to add, please do by all means.

Looks like a nice truck.

Al

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3B is a good motor and a fairly straightforward swap, would make life easier than doing the Isuzu engine from an NPR truck. do you have a 5 speed tranny with that?
keep me in mind