New IP in, Black Smoke Out

crab bucket

Crab Bucket
Reaction score
The old injection pump in my '93 F250 went from an occasional drip out the weep hole to crying out the top cover about a month ago. The pump would stumble after running for 40 minutes in the summer heat and the truck would act gutless.

I ordered a non-turbo '93-94 pump from Uhaul's site and they sent me a Diesel Logic rebuild. I had my diesel mechanic install it along with new return lines. At the static timing marks, the truck put out lots of black smoke at idle and had poor power. The mechanic had to adjust the timing back about a nickel's width to the driver's side to get rid of the smoke at idle. With the timing set like this, the truck has no throttle response and still has a slight haze on acceleration. The pump heats up much more than the one it replaced. No leaks and it starts just as easy as it aways did.

My first thought was bad pump. I checked for intake and exhaust obstructions and couldn't see any. Could changing the injection pump expose a bad injector? I can hear valve clatter but not any knocking. I'm kicking myself for having a shop do the work. That was money I could have spent on a rebuild for the ip and injectors.

My idea is to at least line the pump back to the static marks and try turning down the fuel in baby steps. If the performace improves, then I would like to time it dynamically before throwing more parts at it. Does anybody know a shop that can really time my truck in the Houston area that has the equipment to time my IDI?

Black dawg

Reaction score
really need to get a meter on it and see where the timing is.

what color smoke at idle?
what does it act like when you rev it with no load?
what does it sound like when you drive it?

crab bucket

Crab Bucket
Reaction score
really need to get a meter on it and see where the timing is.

what color smoke at idle?
what does it act like when you rev it with no load?
what does it sound like when you drive it?

I hope I can find someone near Galveston to time it. I hate guessing. The one good thing is no more fumes in the cab. It is all heading out the tailpipe.

I drove the truck this evening. If I rev it with no load I can see no smoke. It has that throaty thumping sound and the valves make about as much chatter as before I changed the ip. There is about two seconds of fairly dense black smoke after each gear change or heavy acceleration. I have light haze under light acceleration and none is visible at idle.

The engine seems to have to work harder. It doesn't sound like it is missing or knocking. The longer and harder I drive, the more sluggish it gets.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that all the uhaul pumps going out lately are having this problems and smoking roads out...cookoo

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just watch out, my brother had to return one from uhaul that came messed up like that.

I was disturbed with the smoke so tried to time that away to a degree and then the truck started to lose power so I knew it wasn't right.

And when we got it to the small amount of black smoke when stabbing the throttle, which was more than the old truck under its biggest load, it started to smoke like a train when we loaded it down with the same load we are used to.

Also the pump we got wouldn't start 20 minutes after a hot shutdown.

I had new injectors at the same time, wanted to just do a tune up now before later because of those prices. I slapped my old pump back in and it starts better and runs smoother than before. I however didn't notice power delivery differences. For all I know the old pump is ok. It got good mileage when it had 3.55 gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726