New clutch kit, flywheel, rear seal

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never been ok with ramps and anything larger than a lawn tractor. When I was younger, our jack was having one of those days (it's about 80-90 years old now) and jack stands were in use, so we attempted to put my buddy's Ramcharger on ramps. Thankfully no one was standing in line with the truck when it shot them out! When we managed to get the jack to work and set the truck on them it crushed them both about halfway to the ground. Those were heavier, not stamped sheet ramps too.

I use the heavy duty "plastic" ramps, and have used them on all my vehicles, including the 8000lb Excursion. Most of my vehicles have been either Front Wheel Drive, or Four Wheel Drive, so they will just climb up on the ramps. Then I bought my P71, and the first time I needed to get under it, I chased the ramps across the garage. However, I discovered a trick so it would climb up the ramps just like a FWD or 4WD. I took 2 ratchet straps, take the long strap out of the ratchet, hook the hook on the flat side of the ramp (the side opposite the ramp) and put the strap under the ramp, and lay it out as long as it will go, so that it will go under the rear tires. Drive over them, and the straps under the rear tires will keep the ramps from sliding away when you drive up the ramps.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been ok with ramps and anything larger than a lawn tractor. When I was younger, our jack was having one of those days (it's about 80-90 years old now) and jack stands were in use, so we attempted to put my buddy's Ramcharger on ramps. Thankfully no one was standing in line with the truck when it shot them out! When we managed to get the jack to work and set the truck on them it crushed them both about halfway to the ground. Those were heavier, not stamped sheet ramps too. When I dropped the tranny on the Enterprise, I just lifted the front and set it on stands, but I'm a small guy :D

I thought I read somewhere that to change the clutch fork you can do it with the tranny in the truck. Maybe just the ZF5?

Yeah you can change the fork, but I'm doing the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, and pilot bushing as well.

My truck is at a really awkward height for me, getting it up 6 or 8 inches means I can sit up under it. Soooo much more comfy. I might stop by Harbor freight in the morning & get some tall jack-stands though, your story freaked me out a little.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the heavy duty "plastic" ramps, and have used them on all my vehicles, including the 8000lb Excursion. Most of my vehicles have been either Front Wheel Drive, or Four Wheel Drive, so they will just climb up on the ramps. Then I bought my P71, and the first time I needed to get under it, I chased the ramps across the garage. However, I discovered a trick so it would climb up the ramps just like a FWD or 4WD. I took 2 ratchet straps, take the long strap out of the ratchet, hook the hook on the flat side of the ramp (the side opposite the ramp) and put the strap under the ramp, and lay it out as long as it will go, so that it will go under the rear tires. Drive over them, and the straps under the rear tires will keep the ramps from sliding away when you drive up the ramps.

Hell of an idea!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yeah you can change the fork, but I'm doing the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, and pilot bushing as well.

My truck is at a really awkward height for me, getting it up 6 or 8 inches means I can sit up under it. Soooo much more comfy. I might stop by Harbor freight in the morning & get some tall jack-stands though, your story freaked me out a little.

Good idea. I have 6k or 8k stands. I rarely lift the stands. Leaving them on the lowest height and setting the front axle beams on them (spaced as far out as possible) is more than enough for me to sit upright under the truck.