Negative Battery Cable Size

wolfman

Reaction score
Got a 86 f250, 6.9 project truck. Replacing the starter and all battery cables. Ford said that the negative battery cables are no longer available from Ford. All of the parts houses that I've checked with only list a 4 gauge negative cable. I know that the ones on there are larger, maybe 1 or 0 gauge. Would using a 4 gauge negative cable damage the starter/electrical system? Thanks !!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welding cable is the best bet. Its got many more wire strands in it. Also don't buy a short cable and bolt it to the close by exhaust manifold bolts. The copper will suck heat up the cable and ruin your expensive batteries.

fireman438

Reaction score
You may try a battery shop that can make cables for you. I'd go with 2/0 copper cables. Remember whatever is coming from the pos. side has to get back to the batt. through the ground cables. Be sure that each terminal is sealed with the glue-seal heatshrink tubing. It will cost more, but the corrosion protection is well worth the $$! I'm going to be doing my cables here soon and I'll follow my own advice, but I'll do mine myself if I have access to a terminal crimper.

Hope this helps.

Rich

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the bigger the better. I made my battery cables all up in 3/0 ;Sweet
When it comes to battery cables, especially grounds, you can't go too big.
Save a lot of headaches later.