Needing info on itake and exhaust studs.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title says I am coming to the end of my build and am getting ready to put the intake manifold on, I will be running about 18-22 psi of boost with the fuel I am running. Has anybody else installed studs on the intake and exhaust? If so what sizes/lengths did you use and where did you locate them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same pressure as my PSD runs on black oxide bolts.
i dont really think there is a need for studs,
but if i wanted to use them, i would pick them up from ACE. use bolts 3/8" longer than the aluminum casting.
i believe these are standard 3/8-16 bolts.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the angle of the head to intake the only way you could stud it would be after the intake is installed, meanwhile the RTV under the valley pan is setting up. You would need to remove the studs to remove the intake.

Last edited:

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok guys thank you. I think Ill go with grade 8 black oxide and if I have any issues ill go with ARP. I remember reading that a member from another site Dave S. blew the intake and exhaust gaskets cause of boost so I am a firm believer of do it once do it right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not needed but its your choice. And as posted the intake is going to be an issue with install or removal. Now for the exhaust manifold log bolts.. Nope.. Never. Those are a very special interference thread bolt. Buy the new from International or Ford dealers.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was aware of the special exhaust bolts was trying to find a better option than the stealership. Ill check u haul on eBay for those and I am going to probably get the ARP bolts for the intake just to make me feel better lol. Cant wait to get this beast up and running. Its been a long time coming and patience is a virtue I keep telling myself.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was aware of the special exhaust bolts was trying to find a better option than the stealership. Ill check u haul on eBay for those and I am going to probably get the ARP bolts for the intake just to make me feel better lol. Cant wait to get this beast up and running. Its been a long time coming and patience is a virtue I keep telling myself.

please report back with a critique and part number :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uhaul dose not have those bolts, the ones that they have are for 460. I have 2 bags of them that I gave to a friend with a 460

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that too. They had them a few months ago (should have bought them then) what about using a stud with a wiz lock type nut. The ones with teeth on the nut, doing some searching I've seen P Stroke kits with them if not stealership here we come. Cost me 26.00 for some head alignment dowles and 76.00 for the oil cooler o rings and gasket set.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you torque sequence the bolts down correctly on the intake, grade 8 bolts is sufficient.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 50

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that too. They had them a few months ago (should have bought them then) what about using a stud with a wiz lock type nut. The ones with teeth on the nut, doing some searching I've seen P Stroke kits with them if not stealership here we come. Cost me 26.00 for some head alignment dowles and 76.00 for the oil cooler o rings and gasket set.

Both Items I have in stock. just sayin

Dowels and cooler parts I mean.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online