Need some pointers;

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I've been in here, and a lot has changed, but I still have the 94 350, and the 99 250. I'll post more on me later, but I sure could use some good advice here.
The 94 (idi) gets poor mileage ( around 7 mpg pulling light loads). I just drove a 92 250 non turbo that has more power than my truck! Mine has 140k and the 250 has 240k!
I've acquired a cummins out of a 94 3500. Runs good, truck is wrecked.
Not necesarilly looking to install it in the 350 right away, but thats what I got it for. Would anyone in here want to take that job on? If so, how much?
When I bought the truck (350) from Tim (in Mich.) it ran & sounded good. Still runs & sound good, but that 250 I drove (non turbo mind you) runs almost like my PSD, and my 350 is MUCH weaker!!
How 'bout aiming me in the right direction.

It runs about 8 lbs boost @ hard acceleration, pyro (in manifold @ #7 ex port) will get up to about 1400 deg., & puts out a little black smoke.
Straight piped.

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Chuck, that thing should be getting much better mileage than 7mpg. I can't even come close to that in Goldie running it like an 8k sports car.:dunno
Sounds like the timing may be off a bit and or in need of a fuel system refresh.
IIRC, that's the one that was stolen and recovered right?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the fuel system ages, the timing retards, and the fuel flow for a given throttle setting becomes less. A fresh injection pump and injectors, along with a good timing job will wake your truck up and bring back the power that you lost so slowly you didn't notice. When was the last time you gave your truck a tune-up?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
As the fuel system ages, the timing retards, and the fuel flow for a given throttle setting becomes less. A fresh injection pump and injectors, along with a good timing job will wake your truck up and bring back the power that you lost so slowly you didn't notice. When was the last time you gave your truck a tune-up?

Mel,
Hate to admit I've never done much except drive the truck. Other than oil, tires and filters, and the new tranny, never done much.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well it looks like You already made up Your mind, from this point on You just need to decide wetter You want stick or auto. You sure will get power out of that 94 engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think at some point we are all guilty of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality. Especially in these lean economic times.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
One more thing, to refreshen the fuel system is by far faster and cheaper than swapping for a cummins unless You make all of Your own mounts and brackets. If You are happy with the power it had before then to refresh the fuel system is the ticket and at the same time You could get a better torque converter and shift kit for that e4od if You don't have that already. It will be like a different truck.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI 1400 degrees is umm...bad. Like 200 degrees beyond where you should be maxing it out.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
OK, I know 1400 deg. is high, thats why I put it in the info.
I've not decided to put in the cummins just yet, but want to know what it would cost to do it. The divorce, and current circumstances make it a financial, (not a "want to") decision.
I intend on keeping the truck, so the cummins will go in at some point, but for now I need better mileage, lower temps, and want more power.
I don't believe the truck has lost any power during the time I've had her, but I'd never driven another idi till now. I just thought it was gonna be weaker by nature. The 93 I drove is a POS & has not been maintained by any of it's many owners. This guy picked it up for $1500 & it's 4wd! But it will almost keep up with my 99 psd and gets twice the mileage I get. Hence the call for help!

Thanks,
Chuck

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definately have some issues,, no, no the truck. I bet your pump is shot . I agree with the previous posts, pump and injectors and it should get much better.
I would take on that cummins job but you are a long way away.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
One more thing, to refreshen the fuel system is by far faster and cheaper than swapping for a cummins unless You make all of Your own mounts and brackets. If You are happy with the power it had before then to refresh the fuel system is the ticket and at the same time You could get a better torque converter and shift kit for that e4od if You don't have that already. It will be like a different truck.
RacerX is right down the street from ya.
You definately have some issues,, no, no the truck. I bet your pump is shot . I agree with the previous posts, pump and injectors and it should get much better.
I would take on that cummins job but you are a long way away.
I agree a babymoose and matched injectors don't goat it....:backoff

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
7 pulling light loads is horrendous unless you're driving that thing like a dragster at every stoplight, yove either got bad timing issues or your pump and injectors are shot as previously mentioned. I just made a run grossing over 16k and was getting over 13mpg. That was after some improvements, I was getting about 11.5 before while towing. Initially I got about 10 towing with this truck and it dropped to 8-9 mpg when towing when the fuel changed, but that was easily fixed by advancing the timing to 9.6 deg. by the pulse method to compensate for the lousy new fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance