need some info brothers

Reaction score
first off i have to say the people and this site are absolutly fantastic !!!!!!!!! so much info ! every one ive delt with were very nice !!!!! so anyway can i run home heating oil in my truck ? foun 500 gallons for $2.00 a gallon? what would i have to do to run home heating oil ? pros and cons ? thank you very much!!!!!!;Sweet

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
short answer, yes.

longer answer, if Big Brother finds you have the red dye in your tanks you will wish you never did it.

but yes you can run it with no mods. it's essentially the same as diesel.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yeppers you can just pour it in the tank and enjoy. As Rob said it will be dyed red so just be aware that if you are checked for non taxed fuel that you will be had. I have never known any one face to face that has been checked but know that it does happen - typically where I hear of it happening is at farm auctions and the like basically folks that would have access to large supplies of off road diesel. Me I live in the city in an apt so I'm so far off the radar that I could get away with it.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$10,000 fine

first off i have to say the people and this site are absolutly fantastic !!!!!!!!! so much info ! every one ive delt with were very nice !!!!! so anyway can i run home heating oil in my truck ? foun 500 gallons for $2.00 a gallon? what would i have to do to run home heating oil ? pros and cons ? thank you very much!!!!!!;Sweet

i recently did some research and found that road side checks are becoming more and more common, and many are reporting that pickup trucks are being checked in various states, not just tractors, etc.
It seems like, with fuel prices so high, people are doing whatever they can to keep truckin so the govt is stepping up their enforcement.
you are taking a huge risk and can expect it to cost over $10K if you get caught. So i would not be so quick to believe anyone who says don't worry about it you will never be checked.

Paul

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about if you add in ATF, it is red colored and would die the diesel? or you could mix in some WMO and then it will be black, no one will know what you have in there.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have heard on the internet of a guy running into problems with ATF beacause it was red. i guess he managed to convince the guy because he had a case behind the seat but not something i want to have to prove at those risks and yes WMO will turn all your fuel black.

i still would not risk running off road in your truck, its not worth the risk!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
what about if you add in ATF, it is red colored and would die the diesel? or you could mix in some WMO and then it will be black, no one will know what you have in there.

When the trooper dips your tank and finds red, you're screwed. It will fall to your lawyer to prove you innocent. The state's lab will probably realize what's going on, but it would take them awhile, and how much of your life would be upside down by then?

i have heard on the internet of a guy running into problems with ATF beacause it was red. i guess he managed to convince the guy because he had a case behind the seat but not something i want to have to prove at those risks and yes WMO will turn all your fuel black.

There's the final answer.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

also, my impression (which could be wrong of course) is that they don't just go by the color of the fuel but that the dye is some kind of chemical that reacts with the testing equipment (ph paper or whatever) so if any amount is there it will show up even if the fuel is black. If anyone knows this NOT to be the case i would also like to know.
thanks,
paul

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It is my understanding that they just look for red, if they find it, you are guilty until proven innocent...but that is what I was told years ago when I played around in LEO. Marvel will also turn it red. I just avoid those things that turn it red, couldn't afford another lawyer!!! :)

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then maybe just a couple gallons of WMO and your all good, dip that and you find black. Me personally live in San Diego, i would run it mixed with WMO since that is what i do right now anyways with normal diesel. My fuel is always a nasty brown color.

I dont know if the dye changes anything, someone else would know better than I about that. Im guessing if anyone here has been dipped they would be able to enlighten us about the experience.

sassyrel

Reaction score
one gent that used to worked at a lab i talked to off forum--said that if the irs boys want to get nasty--they can send your fuel in--and even with wmo in it--they can tell if you are running red fuel---rhumbah!!!!! that sucks---

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thought is only run it in one tank, and keep normal diesel in the other tank. That way is anything does happen it is your off road tank, and that you only use it for off road activities and that you have your road diesel tank for when you travel on the road. If you do ever get pulled over and have been running normal diesel, show the officer your fuel filter. Would this work? I guess its another court case, but i know they use offroad diesel in construction equipment so if your ever driving on your own property you can legally run on off road diesel. But idk how that would work, does anyone know how long it takes to purge the fuel filter while driving?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My guess is if it has license plates on it, it's considered on road and there is to be no off road fuel, but that is just a guess.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I worked for a petroleum company that installed and repaired the dye equipment on delivery trucks for 2yrs. It's so easy to tamper with that stuff it's a joke....There is usually a dye tank in the side compartment, there is a small plastic tube inside the delivery hose and the dye is mixed at the delivery nozzle. The fuel in the tank isn't dyed...I swear the crooked ******** sell diesel to one customer and then add the dye to the next drop and call it furnace...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online