Need some help with ignition tumbler

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I lost my truck keys a few days ago and pulled the ignition out of my 4x4 for my 2wd daily driver, problem is on the 2wd there's no ignition lock pin on the column like on my 4x4. How do you remove the ignition from a non tilt column I've gotten most of the tumblers out but can't get the ignition to turn yet. Any tips or should I just pull the tilt column out of the 4x4 and put it into the 2wd

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a big chisel or screwdriver and get it behind the chrome piece. Smack it with a hammer to break the chrome piece off. Then you can get up in there and depress the pin to release the assembly.

Before anyone flys off the handle, this is the official procedure from the Ford manual when you do not have a key for the tumbler. I have done it several times with no problems afterward.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that but couldn't get the pin to release, ended up using a small chisel and pick to bust all the timbers out then pulled the steering wheel off to get at release pin. What a pain in the butt having to remove the steering wheel to get access to the release pin, the tilt column i borrowed the ignition from took two seconds this non tilt one was a pain..