Need parts for an Old banks non wastegated turbo

stacy santens

Reaction score
Im new here an really could use some help. I Just picked up a banks non wastegated turbo for my 1990 7.3 idi. I didnt have any manual for it so I just took some Time in figuring out how to instal it. I got as far as bolting it and the exhaust in plus hooking up the oil line. I fired up the truck to check it out befor going any further. A few seconds after it running it started blowing oil out of both ends of the turbo. Moneys tight the trucks a daily driver im in the middle of moving and I cant find a rebuilt kit. Im in some serious need of help.
You must be registered for see images attach

stacy santens

Reaction score
Feeling very nieve Is it possible I hooked up the oil line wrong I just hooked it into a port I found on the side of the block by the oil filter as for the out let I plumbed it into the valley pan as that looked to be the only place it went

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Into the valley pan is correct, but you need to punch holes in it though the hole.
Probably just needs rebuilt now.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

stacy santens

Reaction score
I just pulled it all off. I had a tottal brain fart. An feeling completely retarted now. I forgot the crank case build pressure. An what needs a rebuild now? The turbo?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
The above post is a fine place to have that rebuilt. Mel owns Conestoga Diesel Injection in Pa. He has been a member here for many years. He is world famous for creating the Moose Pump line of products. I'm on my second Moose Pump and love it. I have never read a customer complaint about him. On the West coast I would recommend typa aka Russ. He rebuilds pumps and can make them run much better than stock. He also is well known for his work and like Mel, he is extremely honest with what he sells.

gandalf

Reaction score
You wanted to install the turbo just guessing on procedure? That can be a very dangerous way to go about it.

If you would like, I have a copy of the installation manual, in pdf format. It's for the old square airbox, non-wastegated, Banks. I'd be happy to send you a copy as an attachment to an email. If so, I'll need your email address. Best to send that as a PM rather than on open forum.

stacy santens

Reaction score
I relised sence I hadn't put the vent on the timing cover the crank case was sealed so when I started the truck up it built up pressure an forced the oil out threw the turbo. I then put the vent on where the timing cover is. Fired the truck up. It shot what little oil was left in it. An then no more. Fingers crossed it night be ok.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its very possible the turbo is ok. Can't really say from this side of the computer. How did you cover the hole in the intake manifold where the CRD valve dumped to from the valley pan. Usually we run a CDR that sucks the blowby and runs it thru the turbo similar to how a EGR smog valve works on a gasser engine.

stacy santens

Reaction score
Heres some pictures of what im doing. To be onnest ive always worked on gas moters, this is my first diesel an my first turbo instal so everything has been learn as I go. An from what ive read an researched this is the best place for help in knowledge so I really appreciate all your guy's help! Ill try and take as many pictures as I can. I gues I should write what else ive got. From what I was told this moter was rebuilt an its got 180,000 miles on it.how ever im not sure on the extent of the rebuild. I ordered a set of reman injectors that are supose to work with a turbo for a really price out of a place called diesel injection out of Alabama. An my pump is turned up one flat already. I havnt gotten an exhaust temp guage yet I know ive gotta get on that.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404069539236.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404069539236.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 91

barr05

Reaction score
Go to Banks web site, go to owners manual for the early non-waste gate turbo, and download the PDF file. It has the complete installation instructions. I just looked them up, found a complete turbo system for my truck.

stacy santens

Reaction score
Also on a quick side bar does anyone know where I can get a new tach sensor I cant find one at the local auto parts

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
yOU NEED TO STOP BUYING PARTS TILL YOU TALK ABOUT IT HERE FIRST. bUYING INJECTORS THAT ARE REBUILT NEVER REALLY TURN OUT TO BE A GOOD BEAL. nOT ONE COMPANY CAN REBUILD THEM AND SELL THE CHEAPER THAN A NEW INJECTOR. mOST JUST RUN A CLEANER THRU THEM AND CALL IT GOOD. yOU WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER SET BUT WILL KNOW TO BUY NEW AND NOT REBUILT. nOW IF YOU CHOOSE TO GO AGAINST THE VAST KNOWLEDGE FOUND HERE THATS FINE. jUST KNOW WHAT YOU READ HERE HAS BEEN DONE MANY TIMES AND THE OUTCOME IS THE SAME. pLEASE READ THE hALL OF sHAME FORUM FOR SELLERS TO STAY AWAY FROM UNLESS YOU CARELESS WHAT THEY TELL YOU AND SELL YOU. Ok. I feel I have raised you conciousness a bit now. Not one member here wants you to buy crap. I don't want you to only buy from who I think is the best. Several have offered you plenty of help so far and you have been here for how many days??? With how many posts... Please read whats been posted offering help to a new member. Gas of diesel. Engines are engines. Its just a diesel operates on much higher compression and is compression ignition. The piston stroke is about 4.100 and all that volume is compressed into about 42 thousands space between the top of the piston and the cylinder head. A tremendous amount of heat is created compressing air. That heat is what ignites the diesel when its injected into the engine. No electric spark needed. Just heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online