No Filter for an old Banks turbo

TygreII

Reaction score
I have an older banks turbo and I can't find a filter for it anywhere. The PO stuffed a paper filter in there and crushed it in. Any Ideas for replacement? I've looked everywhere and no one makes anything that fits. I'm looking to go to a clamp on style. What type of solutions to this do you have or suggest? Pictures of your setup would be great.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A picture would help us a lot. I think @Cubey has that kind of banks housing. Should be a rectangle housing, right? If so, can't you measure and get a universal fit one?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 85 6.9 with the banks Turbo. The air box says banks and 6.9 in the casting. It has the K&N Filter which was tweaked, and crushed and filthy. Looks like it was shoved in and the lid tightened down.

I took it to a couple auto parts stores looking for a paper replacement. They could not find a cross reference.
I did find a Banks K&N by searching on the part# on the filter. Ordered it doing a Google search, and it came from Banks. Maybe banks has a corner on these?

When I finally get around to putting it on the road, i`ll do some more searching to see about coming up with a different air intake. Iam not too wild about K&N Filters.

Soon as I finish this pot of coffee and reading through the Forum, i`ll head out to the shop and get the part# off the box.

Actually if you look on your K&N, there will be a part# on it.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A picture would help us a lot. I think @Cubey has that kind of banks housing. Should be a rectangle housing, right? If so, can't you measure and get a universal fit one?

Nope I have ATS 085, which uses a 1980 Porsche 911 air filter (LX261 for paper, K&N also available)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an older banks turbo and I can't find a filter for it anywhere. The PO stuffed a paper filter in there and crushed it in. Any Ideas for replacement? I've looked everywhere and no one makes anything that fits. I'm looking to go to a clamp on style. What type of solutions to this do you have or suggest? Pictures of your setup would be great.
Classic diesel design makes a air filter kit for the banks sidewinder idi and it uses a Donaldson blue filter which is an amazing filter....I rigged it up to my N/A with some silicone couplers and love it

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Classic diesel design makes a air filter kit for the banks sidewinder idi and it uses a Donaldson blue filter which is an amazing filter....I rigged it up to my N/A with some silicone couplers and love it

I think he needs the one below. I found the below dimensions on Amazon's Canada site (sold out of course) but it has very precise dimensions:

28.68 x 21.77 x 11.28 cm

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Finally got out to the shop, the K&N I have new in the box is part #41502.

Goat

Ah, looks like this? Funny because one that looks like that comes up for 41505 too.

And this page for a 41505 says it fits 6.9/7.3

And... this old thread from 2010 says you can only get/use the Banks one.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, just did a Google search for the 41502.

On K&N`s site, not a listing part#.
Even Autoplicity...nothing

As I remember I bought it through Summit Racing maybe 2 years ago. NLA

So maybe they dropped the 41502# for the 41505 which maybe be the same dimensions ,but for another application? IDK.

But if I could find a paper one, I would go for it over the K&N.

My 41501 is NLA, so it is now rare, vintage....price increase....:thumbsup:

Goat

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks used both filter sizes. I have a complete engine and trans in the barn with that turbo. Filter pn# is cast right into the housing. The ones I found on internet are pricey. Surely there's another similar filter that fits and less expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 14

Claybreaker 144

Reaction score
I had a Sidewinder for a 6.2 diesel and found the air filter part number cast into the house was incorrect. After several emails to Banks I was provided the correct part number. I was really surprised. This was 10 years ago and I sold the motor and turbo a couple of years ago and provided that documentation from Banks with the motor.

TygreII

Reaction score
Further research results:

41502: 8.5" x 11" x 3"
41505: 8.5" x 11" x 3.5"
Given my computer background, one would think that I could come up with this. I'm going to be replacing my fuel return lines on top of the motor today, so I'll look at what's written there.

Cubey had a picture that looks like it would fit.

Catbird showed what looks like my housing.

A friend of mine suggested just to leave it empty and clamp on one of those cone shaped aftermarket filters.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A friend of mine suggested just to leave it empty and clamp on one of those cone shaped aftermarket filters.
That would work IF you are absolutely sure that you have the top and bottom of the air box completely sealed to each other. Otherwise it won't be much better than running with no filter at all because you would suck dirt and dust into your engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7