Banks old style replacement air filter

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere on this site I read that a certain year Mustang shared its filter with the old style banks airbox. I am in need of a replacement as I don't really trust the K&N that is in it now, and am unable to find that thread again. Anyone know?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my K&N out, the big aluminum air box right?

I use a spectre cone filter it fits right on there where the hose for the cold air comes to the box, no cold air junk but mine runs pretty cool anyway on the pyro. never been past 900 haulin **** up the cascades. my hose had some cuts on it too

I lookede everywhere in town for a replacement in-box filer and didn't find anything that fit, but it can be found online. I know theres an alternative to the K&N but i dont know what it was... hope this helps

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Banks is the only source to get that filter if you want to stay with that Big ole box.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really love to get rid of this big ugly box. Its such a pain to get in and out and its almost always right in the way when I'm working on stuff. But I don't have access to a welder and cutting tools to make my own intake hat. I believe the intake for the banks box is 4" and could certainly use a cone on it, but would prefer to just eliminate that box altogether.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I would really love to get rid of this big ugly box. Its such a pain to get in and out and its almost always right in the way when I'm working on stuff. But I don't have access to a welder and cutting tools to make my own intake hat. I believe the intake for the banks box is 4" and could certainly use a cone on it, but would prefer to just eliminate that box altogether.

Check with Russ (typ4). IIRC he was making intake hats.

Getting rid of that box on Goldie was one of the best frickin upgrades done to make life easier under the hood.;Sweet

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Hey don't knock the big 'ol box. It's good for roasting your hot dogs after that long hard pull up the big hill.:rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet S&B filters might amke you a filter by dimensions for that turbo if you want to keep the Banks airbox. If I recall icanfixall got them to make one for him for his sidewinder. That wasn't necessary for my ATS because it uses the same filter a a 302 V8 in a mustang from the early 90s. Seems like a much better filter than a similar K&N. Some people say that these don't work nearly as well as a paper element. I used to say that too and to some degree it might be the case but so far my silicon/dirt and wear levels are acceptable even with synthetic and extended drain intervals so maybe it does it' job provided it has a good seal and is cleaned and oiled correctly. Time will tell.

wizo

Reaction score
Jegs has them, just ordered one and will let you know if it is indeed to correct part.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Banks/139/41502/10002/-1

I also thought about going with a cone filter on the end of the box but then you have to seal the box some how. The lid and box does not have a gasket so without the filter in it you would have air flowing at the seam.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has a gasket :dunno

other than two threaded holes i didn't have any leaks. RTV or other silicone could be used to seal the gaps if yours dont have one

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
pics?

this is sorta how mine looks on my 7.3 with the "Ram Air" intake on the header panel

Well I've got that same style intake hat and just used a 4" PVC elbow and the adapters included with the Spectre filter to adapt it to the elbow.;Sweet

Thanks to Towcat shipping me 3 boxes of a variety of turbo parts weighing a metric ton.LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin