No Filter for an old Banks turbo

TygreII

Reaction score
That would work IF you are absolutely sure that you have the top and bottom of the air box completely sealed to each other. Otherwise it won't be much better than running with no filter at all because you would suck dirt and dust into your engine.
Good point. A little permatex black should do.

TygreII

Reaction score
OK, so it had a #41505 in it. Not a paper filter. Here's the rub: It doesn't fit even though that is what is called for. :idiot:
You must be registered for see images attach
It looks like it is off about 1/2" on the long side. I'm thinking on taking the dremmel after the inner lip on the bottom side. That will give me a little perssure fit instead of a crush.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Did they originally have a thick rubber gasket for the lid maybe?

EDIT: I found this. It looks like there is a lid gasket to the left of the lid.
Source: https://official.bankspower.com/insider_news/1983-sidewinder-turbo-kit-for-ford-6-9-liter/

Edit 2: Also... your air box mentions "late style" after saying PN 41505. Perhaps that's what eventually became 41502? Unless the turbo kit itself is being called "late style", rather than referring to the air filter? Cropped, brightened, and rotated from your pic above:

Edit 3: You might want go double check if it says something else after "late style". I dug up this 2006 post where Russ said his banks kit said "Late style 3-1/2 high":

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You know, it does seem like I can remember some of these having a gasket there. I was thinking that the filter sealed to the top and bottom so the lid didn't have to seal perfectly.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the original filter was a reusable design. If you can find one for a reasonable price it would likely be the best choice.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a banks box too, before modding a intake snail to replace it. A 4 inch cone filter will mount to the cold air hole, I got better boost and everything after that modification. You could get a silicone 90 and some pipe to run the Donaldson there too. The prior owner had that crap kn rectangle filter in it and sucked a bunch of sand into the engine, because the filter didn't seal for snot. You could rtv the top and bottom but have fun pulling it later...

Now I have the intake snail for the boost side, and reused a 90 that was going from the banks box to the turbo intake, I have it going intake to a 4 inch steel pipe, that I attached the CDR to and welded a support leg that mounts to the block or intake (don't remember 100%), with a Donaldson on the end with a pre-filter bag on it. I should have pics on my profile somewhere but it was a great upgrade. Only thing that could be better is pulling the filter out in front of the radiator somehow, make a forced cold air intake.

Honestly at freeway speeds though, I doubt the heat where its at is much higher than ambient, plus the banks box itself would be VERY hot from transferring the block heat. It did make a good table, but it didn't seal for crap on the boost or intake sides, and sucked swapping glow plugs or anything on the fuel side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7