Looking for Banks Filter P/N

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Greetings all, been a while since posting here.
I've a friend with an 89 F250 & Banks turbo kit. He's had some bad luck with the internal locating K&N air filter.
Perhaps if someone has a filter part number, for a regular replacable type I'd be grateful for the info.
Lorne

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless someone has found a cross recently the air filter is a Banks only part. You can't get it through a normal K&N catalog unfortunately.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
If it's a round cone, I can give you an aFe part number. It's the exact same element, just not K&N. It's late & too much stuff blocking the garage door to chance it in the dark. I'll get the number in the AM & post it here.

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
apextrans said:
If it's a round cone, I can give you an aFe part number. It's the exact same element, just not K&N. It's late & too much stuff blocking the garage door to chance it in the dark. I'll get the number in the AM & post it here.

Actually this is a square filter, and fits inside the two halves of the air induction housing. It is basically like a traditional round filter compressed into a rectangle, rubber gaskets both sides. Because it has to sit within the formed channels on either side of the aluminum housings, an old filter with stiff rubber easily crushes leading to dusting as you cannot see how the reassembly has gone.
If Banks is the only source, then even that part number would help.
Not sure where you can access Banks parts up here in British Columbia, other than directly back to Banks? Any ideas?
Thanks, Lorne

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Lorne,
The p/n should be stamped inside the cast filter housing.
What to watch for is the part # itself is what Banks needs and is a Banks part only. cookoo

What ya might want to do is measure the filter housing inside height before contacting Banks.
The one I ordered from Banks had the correct part number but was 1/4" higher than that of the housing. :smash:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My K&N has this stamped Into the filter "BANKS P/N 41505 LATE STYLE 3 1/2 HIGH" My air box has a the lid that says Sidewinder on it. Non wastegated rectangle. I no longer use it. I went to an open paper filter.

Attachments

• Copy of 032_NR.jpg
    Copy of 032_NR.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
GRuss said:
My K&N has this stamped Into the filter "BANKS P/N 41505 LATE STYLE 3 1/2 HIGH" My air box has a the lid that says Sidewinder on it. Non wastegated rectangle. I no longer use it. I went to an open paper filter.

Thanks for the help guys. I think what Gruss has done with the open unit pre air box is probably what my friend should have. We should be able to access that type of equipment locally and avoid the internal conundrums.
Much appreciated,
Lorne

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice to anybody with that old Banks housing is to ditch it! After that last timing job on Larry's truck, I'm adding that Banks housing to my list of things I don't do for free during a timing job. Get yourself a Hypermax intake hat, and build yourself a Moose Air or equivelent open element set up, and say goodbye to that oversized monstrosity covering your engine, and free yourself from the Gale Banks air filter dependency!

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
My advice to anybody with that old Banks housing is to ditch it! After that last timing job on Larry's truck, I'm adding that Banks housing to my list of things I don't do for free during a timing job. Get yourself a Hypermax intake hat, and build yourself a Moose Air or equivelent open element set up, and say goodbye to that oversized monstrosity covering your engine, and free yourself from the Gale Banks air filter dependency!

Exactly what I have been wanting to do for some time. However Hypermax wants about $200 for the intake hat...
Anyone have one taking up space in their garage they need to clear out?
Would anyone else make one that would fit? I seem to remember it is an odd sized opening. Is that correct?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Tristan said:
Exactly what I have been wanting to do for some time. However Hypermax wants about $200 for the intake hat...
Anyone have one taking up space in their garage they need to clear out?
Would anyone else make one that would fit? I seem to remember it is an odd sized opening. Is that correct?

I have a NEW one I'll sell for $150 shipped.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now there is a deal! It would be easy enough to fab one up. You'd need a piece of steel pipe the right diameter, then put on a lathe to get a lip machined. Then you would need to cut the pipe to about 3" in length, make an oblong hole in the side for another piece of pipe (same diameter as turbo outlet) and weld that to the side at the right angle to line up with the turbo outlet. Then weld a piece of plate across the top, with a bolt hole, and boost gauge tap on it. By the time you were done, spending an entire weekend on it, you'd probably say the $150 isn't too bad! ;Sweet

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Or just clamp the old airbox down to the mill table and start hacking away until you got it where you wanted it. No welding no fabing just a matter of knowing when to stop cutting.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Been on the road alot lately.

The aFe part number is: aFe 72-40035.

Dimensions:

Flange ID 4"
Base Dia. 6"
Top Dia 4-3/4"
Height 9"

The filter element is green instead of purple. I was told the aFe flows better & blocks more crap than a K&N. I haven't found one to be better than the other.

Attachments

• PB150022.JPG
    PB150022.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin