need info on best 6.9 rebuild

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can use all info on building my 86 6.9 to replace very tired 92 7.3. What is reasonible bore size and type of pistons. I need to know of a reliable machine shop near Portland,OR. I have the banks turbo off of the 7.3. I see that the better rebuids have piston faces milled and coated. Where can I get this done. If TYPE 4 has any input, I would appreciate it as it isn't that far to go for a good shop. I want a GOOd rebuild as it will be last one (I hope) I have had 92 F350 4x4 C.C. since new and I love this truck. My being 69 years, I won't see it go another 340,00. I plan to pull my ft.wheel around the states and want a strong engine to help flatten some of the hills. As the rebuild gets close to finish, I plan on MOOSE PUMP and injectors from TYPE4. Thanks in advance for any and All Info.

Herb Gunn

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pistons are available from mahle, I would go 20 or 30 bore, balanced. Torque cam, from me. Bronze guides, only one brand I will use,new exhaust valves. Intakes are almost always good ,but??
Are you assembling it? Turbo?
I have a couple shops I use for my engine machining I do all the assembly myself, I trust no one.
I am pretty hooked up with parts suppliers if you want me to get some numbers.
Where do you live?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Might want to look at lower compression/raising boost?
IS easier to burn the extra fuel with 15+ lbs of air stuffed down the 6.9.

Milling the pistons will allow more boost.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mahle low compression pistons and a set of ARP head studs or... Have Russ (Typ4) hook up up with the already built motor that has all the "good stuff" already done. That sounds to me like the quicker, easier way to go at this time.....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have prices for machining, One of the guys in our buggy group has a machine shop in brookings and he does excellent work. Does race engines for stock cars also. Him I trust.
Definately head studs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Around $600.00 for a set of pistons but thats back 2 years ago. Some place to know what its going to be though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I see prices for pistons I nearly fall out of my seat. 1.5 years ago when i rebuilt my engine, my machine shop was able to get me new 30 thou oversize pistons with moly rings already installed and pre-gapped for about $300 (canadian!!!). Came with wrist pins too, but I think thats standard.

I figured it was a good deal at the time an he told me as much, but didn't realize it was THAT good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that 6.9 turbo pistons were no longer available? Personally I'd add turbo rods and head studs and I like Typ4s valve train upgrades. If you can get the compression down a bit and add an intercooler you can add more boost without damaging stuff.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Topgun if your in need of some physical labor getting the motor in/out, tore down/assembled, I am willing to throw in a hand. I dont know if I make it on Type4's trusted mechanics list just yet, but if Im not on it I will be.

I live in Beaverton. Im stupid busy but I prefer to work on diesels and will MAKE time for an idi.

punk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The turbo rods for the 6.9 are the same parts for the 7.3 motors. Non turbo rods are 1805615C1 and the turbo rods are 1816619C1.... Ford still sells them and Diesel Direct in Florida has them for $42.50 a year ago. No core charge either. Ford wants between $40.00 to $50.00 for just the cores if you don't have any to turn in....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand this Gary, I was mostly interested in whether there exist 6.9 turbo pistons. I understand that you need to get the turbo rods to use 7.3 turbo pistons and that they will not bolt up to the standard rods..... but I was under the impression that at one time at least there existed a turbo piston for a 6.9 that would bolt up to standard rods....where am I missing it.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand this Gary, I was mostly interested in whether there exist 6.9 turbo pistons. I understand that you need to get the turbo rods to use 7.3 turbo pistons and that they will not bolt up to the standard rods..... but I was under the impression that at one time at least there existed a turbo piston for a 6.9 that would bolt up to standard rods....where am I missing it.

There are still turbo pistons made for a 6.9L that will fit the stock 6.9L rods. There are also ones made for the 7.3L that will fit the stock rods.

Look here

Look down below the head bolt kit and it shows the part number for the turbo pistons, if anyone wants a price let me know, I will be able to get it tomorrow during business hours.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info there, I'd love to get a price. Any idea what the final CR is with the 6.9 turbo pistons and stock rods?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try calling Mahle directly at 423-581-6603 and talk to the tech dept.. They are located in Morristown Tenn, 37815-0748.po box 748 5575 andrew johnson hwy.