need info on best 6.9 rebuild

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to the company this morning and those pistons are no longer available, I haven't sold any of them in about a year and a half and I guess the manufacturer didn't think it was worthwhile to continue to produce them, I apologize.

Although I still have 7.3L IDI Small Wrist Pin Turbo pistons (Hard Anodized Crown For Aftermarket Turbo w/-.010 Comp Height). I can still supply these in STD, .020 , .030 and .040 over. I would be kind of skeptical of boring one .040 over though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Topgun if your in need of some physical labor getting the motor in/out, tore down/assembled, I am willing to throw in a hand. I dont know if I make it on Type4's trusted mechanics list just yet, but if Im not on it I will be.

I live in Beaverton. Im stupid busy but I prefer to work on diesels and will MAKE time for an idi.

punk

YOU dont even have to ask.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

You made good points because you worked on water cooled VW"sLOLLOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody remember for sure if the turbo pistons with the turbo 7.3 rods reduces the compression or not? I personally feel it would be worth spending the money for custom turbo pistons that bolt to those 7.3 large pin rods. I know...2000 bucks +- for a set is hard to swallow but I would have them made to be 18 or 18.5:1 compression. It works with the 6.5 it should work with a 6.9....I know 'd get away with it here. If I ever move up north it might wind up being plugged in all the time.... but such an engine with an IC could take as much boost and fuel as you could feed it without damage(within reason)

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the IH specs the IDI 7.3L turbo engine still has compression ratio of 21.5 : 1 , so the stock replacement pistons for a factory turbo engine will not lower your compression ratio alone.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info, I definitely want to get well under 20:1 compression ratio and be able to use the 7.3 IDI big pin rods.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got started

Thanks Russ
I went on ebay and bought the pistons, ARP studs and (rings,bearings and gasket) kit that you found for me. I should have 6.9 pulled from donor truck next week. With temp around 100 next few days it might take longer. At least I'm on the way to a stronger engine. Let me know whereto take block for machine work. This was first time buying on ebay, so I REALLY appreciated your help! When it comes time for head work, is it better to start with the 92 7.3's or use pair I already had work done on?
Again thanks Russ and thanks to Punkmechanic for offer of help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online