Need help with new IDI

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new IDI last week with a list of problems, but it ran and now it won't. It will turn over but not even try to start, even with a shot of ether, not too much, just enough to try to get it to kick. I have new return lines on the way but does anyone have any ideas as to why the no start? It also has 2 brand new Napa Legend batteries I just put in.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say glow plugs but you tried a whiff of ether. Sounds like it's not getting fuel. Try dropping the filter to see if it's full or not. How much fuel is in the tank?

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a half tank, I get fuel and air out of the bleeder valve by the filter, the all lines are good besides the factory return lines, I'm hoping that fixes the air issue.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel may or may not be a problem, but he is adding fuel, he is spraying ether in it. Make sure it's cranking over fast enough, and give it another heavier shot of ether. Make sure the glow plugs are disconnected. If it won't try to run with ether, you have got more serious problems.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won’t run on ether without fuel, these engines won’t run on ether alone like most diesels, too much compression. If you’re getting air and fuel out the Schrader valve then you’re sucking air. Try putting another 5 gallons in the tank and try again.

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
Switch fuel tanks or fill up the one you have. The reason why is on my truck the front tank, when it gets to half way starts to suck air and kills the engine.

Coastaldigger

Reaction score
I had a charger on mine , or jump it while cranking helps a bit. Using some clear fuel line in spots can help isolate air. Intrusion. Off lift pump,at rear back to tank etc.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright still no start, since the last reply I have replaced the tank, pick up tube, filled the tank, replaced all return lines, o rings, caps, etc., and installed an electric fuel pump, no air in the bleeder anymore, tons of white smoke while cranking but still no start.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke means you got fuel, your glow plugs may not be working making it hard to ignite the fuel. I would give it just a kiss of ether while you crank it and see if it starts

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke means you got fuel, your glow plugs may not be working making it hard to ignite the fuel. I would give it just a kiss of ether while you crank it and see if it starts
Probably should disable the glow plug system before ethering don't you think Wes just to be safe.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, just to be safe you can but if any of the glow plugs were working it would have started since hes got fuel (smoke from the exhaust) cant be too safe though, thanks randy

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch fuel tanks or fill up the one you have. The reason why is on my truck the front tank, when it gets to half way starts to suck air and kills the engine.
On both of my trucks, if the truck is sitting on a hill face downward, and the front tank is halfway full, yes, it can suck air. But if level, or face upward, there is no problem. It's the opposite for the back tank.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burnt up the starter, even with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off it eventually started smoking and now barely turns over. I guess I'll be replacing that and the glow plugs look very, very old so I have a set ordered, Motorcraft ZD9. Hopefully the controller still works

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I burnt up the starter, even with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off it eventually started smoking and now barely turns over. I guess I'll be replacing that and the glow plugs look very, very old so I have a set ordered, Motorcraft ZD9. Hopefully the controller still works

While you’re in there, you may consider a replacement harness, or a manual conversion kit for the glow plug system. Both are very good upgrades over the factory wiring: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/glow-plug-solutions-from-classic-diesel-designs.84824/

I would recommend a db electric starter as a good option for a quality factory replacement starter, or upgrade to a powermaster starter. Little bit more pricey, but they have a lot more power than the factory units. You can find both options for reasonable prices on eBay.