Need help with new IDI

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burnt up the starter, even with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off it eventually started smoking and now barely turns over. I guess I'll be replacing that and the glow plugs look very, very old so I have a set ordered, Motorcraft ZD9. Hopefully the controller still works
Sounds like you're getting close... in the future try using 20 seconds crank and 2 minutes cooldown. Then you won't burn up the next starter.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question while I wait on parts, the previous owner cut/disabled the factory block heater, what is recommended to install for a heater? Would an inline coolant or oil heater work?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a glow plug harness from Wes waiting to go in mine. Looks like a really nice unit and I'd recommend it.

As far as the block heater goes, what year is the truck? Early 6.9s had major problems with the factory block heater (cracking the block, it was weak in that area) but the later ones and the 7.3s are fine.

If it's a 7.3 I would just replace it. Mine needed a new cord but works fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another question while I wait on parts, the previous owner cut/disabled the factory block heater, what is recommended to install for a heater? Would an inline coolant or oil heater work?
If all they did was cut the cord, then I'd just replace it.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 94 7.3 NA, so I tested the glow plugs and 6 tested good, I wired a manual button for them and it is working. Replaced the starter and still no start, every few cranks it makes a hiss or puff of air sound out of the intake where the air filter should be. Is this normal?

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was re reading the post.... did you crack the injector lines and let the air out? Or at least verify fuel is coming out there? Is there power to the injection pump??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was re reading the post.... did you crack the injector lines and let the air out? Or at least verify fuel is coming out there? Is there power to the injection pump??

There is, and injectors have fuel, it is smoking a lot while cranking also. When I picked it up it had been sitting for a year, we got it running and checked all fluids then I drove it an hour and a half home. It then started the next 2 days with some ether and a little cranking and ran very well when it was warmed up, but ever since no start no matter what. I replaced fuel filter, return lines, caps, orings, installed electric fuel pump which is working, double checked yesterday, some of the glow plugs, batteries, starter, installed manual glow plug button, replaced and filled fuel tank as well as replaced pickup tube, and put an exhaust on it. Sorry for the recap but I know it helps me. I have no idea what else to try

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I've had one do me that way the timing was way off.
Is it possible that the pump worked loose ... got your timing off? Maybe wasn't tightened when it was serviced last.
Just a thought.
Keep at it ... you'll figure it out

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you verify there’s power to the electrical connections at the top of the pump? You coulda knocked it loose.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced factory block heater, finally got it to start but it still needed ether. Let it run for 30 minutes and it ran like crap the whole time, sputtering and popping and the fuel filter light kept coming on and going off a few minutes at a time. It ran a lot better than this before

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burnt up the starter, even with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off it eventually started smoking and now barely turns over. I guess I'll be replacing that and the glow plugs look very, very old so I have a set ordered, Motorcraft ZD9. Hopefully the controller still works
30 Seconds cool down time is not enough time once the starter starts heating up. Cool down time should be more like minutes not seconds.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let it run for 30 minutes and it ran like crap the whole time, sputtering and popping and the fuel filter light kept coming on and going off a few minutes at a time. It ran a lot better than this before

Sounds like a fuel issue or sucking air to me. What are you running for the electric pump?

Did you replace the quick connects on the fuel lines? Sometimes when you remove them they don't seal right anymore.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue or sucking air to me. What are you running for the electric pump?

Did you replace the quick connects on the fuel lines? Sometimes when you remove them they don't seal right anymore.

I used a flare tool on the sending unit at the tank and eliminated the fittings by flaring a barb on the unit and the hard line to install new lines/electric pump with hose clamps. The pump is the Mr. Gasket diesel inline pump, no air in the system at the bleeder valve, just a very steady stream of fuel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little green pump? Thats your issue if thats what it is. They are barely enough for a garden tractor, let alone a big V8 diesel.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The little green pump? Thats your issue if thats what it is. They are barely enough for a garden tractor, let alone a big V8 diesel.

Yes, it is the 12D. It says 7 psi and 35 gph which is about the same as the factory pump right? Also the factory pump is still hooked up as well. Is there a better pump under $100? Im starting to have quite a bit of money into getting this truck running and I am starting to run out