Need help with new IDI

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the 12D, don’t believe the ratings and the factory pump puts out more than 35 gph from what I’ve seen. Every customer truck that has come in that has had that pump had fuel delivery issues. You also don’t want to run both a mechanical and electric pump, the mechanical pump can have the diaphragm rip from too much inlet pressure and fill your crankcase with fuel. I doubt the 12d will do that, but generally want to avoid it.

You can pick up a Mr gasket 105p for under $100 but you will need a good regulator. A proper e pump conversion costs money, so you may be better off replacing the mech lift pump if that isn’t performing properly. But if you’re having to run a little e pump and mech pump and you’re still having issues, I bet there’s something else going on.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of the way I am, but on a stock truck I kind of like sticking with OEM style parts. It solves a lot of normal problems. If one is boosting things for more HP that is different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine the e-pump could be causing a restriction for the mechanical pump, maybe not but it's worth checking. Now that you know the system is primed I'd bypass the e-pump and see what it does off just the mechanical pump.

I'm wondering if the specs for the mechanical pump aren't just idle specs. I had no trouble with my Delphi pump unless I was above 2500rpm, where a mechanical pump would be pushing more, faster, and an e-pump is just chugging along at the same rate as idle.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a bypass line in and also left the electric pump hooked up just in case I need to prime the system. I turned the e pump on for about 20 seconds and started it and then shut the pump off and it ran pretty smooth off the mech pump. I still need ether though

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're still running on only 6 glow plugs like you said earlier change the bad ones out!

How long are you glowing them for? I see you said you ran a manual switch.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still running on only 6 glow plugs like you said earlier change the bad ones out!

How long are you glowing them for? I see you said you ran a manual switch.

The 2 bad GPs were replaced so running on all 8, and glowing for 8 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online