Glow Plug Solutions from Classic Diesel Designs

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you again to everyone who participated in the preorder sell! I was blown away by the amount of interest in these kits, so Id like to take some time here to showcase some of the interesting details with the various versions, as well as post the new prices now that our sale has ended.

Our most popular of our kits is the manual control conversion kit, retailing at $185 with shipping and handling included, this kit replaces the entire factory glow plug system with a plug and play setup that simplifies and outperforms the problematic factory system. Included in this kit is everything needed to make the conversion, but a pushbutton of your choice (Minimum 5 amp rating) and a set of zd9 glowplugs.

Going from the top left to bottom right, is the first harness which goes from the feed side of the pushbutton to a fuse tap for the underdash fuse panel. I typically use a 15 amp fuse location with an ignition source, two 15 amp fuses are included.

Next is the the pushbutton signal wire, a 10 ft length with the correct ring terminal to trigger the relay, and extra length to reach any location in the cab, just cut to length and crimp your connector on for your pushbutton.

Next is the passenger side glowplugs bank, this starts with a 4mm gf bullet connector that is crimped and heat shrinked to a quality, american made stranded wire, a spare glow plug is installed into the bullet connector while it is heated allowing the insulation to shrink to the diameter of the glowplug while it cools, this makes for a water tight and firm connection that will not shake loose from the glow plugs. Next the braided sheath is slid over each lead and marine heat shrink bonds the ends of the loom to each connector. Each glow plug lead comes together into a 5/16 plated copper ring connector, this uninsulated connector is hydraulically crimped and heat shrinked to make for a tough connection that wont break or easily corrode.

The first on the lower row is a length of DEI's high temp split line loom. This is to be used for any high temp locations along the harness, such as the thermostat area or rear glow plugs near a turbo. Rated for up to 500* this is a key item to making your harness last a long time when exposed to high temps.

The two short wires next to the relay are the ground and feed for the relay, setup with the ring terminals for their applications and marine heat shrinked for a water tight connection to resist corrosion.

The white rodgers relay is a hefty design, specd for up to 500k uses, and up to 600 amp inrush, its overkill for our application, but delivers the high current needed for our glow plug system with ease.

Lastly is the driverside bank glow plug harness, built the same as the passenger side this long stretch goes runs up the side of the cylinder head around the front of the injection pump and across the engine to the relay location.

Not pictured but still included in the kit is your CDD sticker, and installation instructions that layout the simple install step by step.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By popular demand I put together this harness for trucks with the glow plug controller mounted on the valve cover. For $70 shipped, this harness replaces the wiring from the output of the stock relay that distributes power to each of the glow plugs, where the factory bullet connector insulation is known to crumble apart from years of exposure to heat and vibration. This can cause issues with the controller reading the resistance of the glow plug circuit incorrectly. This harness is built with all of the same steps to ensure water tight connections as the conversion kit, with the same addition of the DEI high temp split loom to protect the glow plug connectors under the turbo.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lastly is our stock Non Turbo replacement glow plug harness for $60 shipped. Once again utilizing all of the strong connections needed, this harness replaces the output wiring between the relay behind the intake manifold that travels to each glow plug. Includes your CDD sticker and installation instructions to replace your harness step by step.

Last edited:

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Lastly is our stock Non Turbo replacement glow plug harness for $60 shipped. Once again utilizing all of the strong connections needed, this harness replaces the output wiring between the relay behind the intake manifold that travels to each glow plug. Includes your CDD sticker and installation instructions to replace your harness step by step.
Wes,

I posted a PM request to you regarding another matter. Also, in another thread that you responded to I asked for more info from you regarding this kit but having read this detailed post from you I think I understand better what is and what is not in the kit and what will work for my specific application.

What I still don't quite understand is where the transformer block, (maybe not the right word "transformer" but) goes if you separate the round white rodgers relay and mount it on the firewall of a truck, where wold you mount the GP white rodgers relay at on a van? and the "block" part below the round GP relay, where does that end up? Is it eliminated by using the white rodgers larger GP relay unit/part?

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white Rodgers relay replaces the stock controller with the built in little relay, so you can just ignore all the stock wiring and controller if you are installing the kit, I prefer to remove all the stock wiring to clean up the top of the engine. I’ve never installed the kit in a van, but I install them next to the starter solenoid on the trucks. Plenty of room past the hood hinge and makes the wiring neat.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
The white Rodgers relay replaces the stock controller with the built in little relay, so you can just ignore all the stock wiring and controller if you are installing the kit, I prefer to remove all the stock wiring to clean up the top of the engine. I’ve never installed the kit in a van, but I install them next to the starter solenoid on the trucks. Plenty of room past the hood hinge and makes the wiring neat.
Hi Wes,

I apologize for my asking so many questions, just my attempt to wrap my head around the terms and the options I have so I can make a decision on if I just want to send back or return what I already have and go with your total kit. So, having said that, just to make sure I get it.

The White rodgers relay eliminates the "square block" (your term, "the little relay") BELOW the "round" stock relay. BOTH of these OEM stock parts are no longer needed anymore at all when installing your "total kit"? Yes or No

As I see you have shown in your example pictures, the built in "little relay" and round relay on top of it were left intact, as in your, pic of, just the harness replacement alone which is, what I have now (stock). Yes or No

So Wes, then by removing my original harness with the old barrel connectors and the OEM GPR and its related, "little relay" below it....

If I choose your "route" I will essentially, have a completely rebuilt starting system (minus the starter which I will also replace and with the new Diesel RX glow plugs I already have, my electrical engines starting will be far more water/moisture resistant and therefore much more reliable and much less prone to failure which is my goal.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1-yes
2- yes? If you google 7.3 idi glow plug controller you will know what I’m talking about. The more expensive kit replaces the controller and all of the wiring, the cheaper kit replaces just the harness from the controller to the glow plugs because this harness deteriorates over time from heat and vibration. Any of the kits I sell will be a significant improvement over the 25 plus year old wiring:)

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Wes, I think I will be needing one of these replacement kits if I can get one without the glow plugs because I just replaced mine within the last 12 months.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

I apologize for my asking so many questions, just my attempt to wrap my head around the terms and the options I have so I can make a decision on if I just want to send back or return what I already have and go with your total kit. So, having said that, just to make sure I get it.

The White rodgers relay eliminates the "square block" (your term, "the little relay") BELOW the "round" stock relay. BOTH of these OEM stock parts are no longer needed anymore at all when installing your "total kit"? Yes or No

As I see you have shown in your example pictures, the built in "little relay" and round relay on top of it were left intact, as in your, pic of, just the harness replacement alone which is, what I have now (stock). Yes or No

So Wes, then by removing my original harness with the old barrel connectors and the OEM GPR and its related, "little relay" below it....

If I choose your "route" I will essentially, have a completely rebuilt starting system (minus the starter which I will also replace and with the new Diesel RX glow plugs I already have, my electrical engines starting will be far more water/moisture resistant and therefore much more reliable and much less prone to failure which is my goal.

If you look at the picture in post #3 of this thread, at the "bottom" center is the stock glow plug controller. This actually consists of 2 parts.

1. The Glow Plug Relay

2. The Solid State Glow Plug Controller (Has the relay connected, couldn't find one without the relay)

dscn0686-jpg.61240

Wes's "Total" kit, replaces both. The relay, and the controller.

The kit in post 3 uses both the controller, and the relay. It just replaces the crumbling wiring.

You could use the factory controller, and run the White Rodgers relay and one of Wes's @Thewespaul kits (not sure that's one of the options, but could be) to replace the wiring. Trigger the White Rodgers relay with the factory controller, and new wiring, and have an automatically controlled, upgraded system. Run a manual bypass wire, and best of both worlds.

My opinion, if you controller works, I would get the kit in #3, or if he has available something like I said, a "modified" total kit (or using a total kit, and having the manual pushbutton trigger, and the trigger from the controller) so it works both ways. I set mine up with the factory setup, and add a pushbutton ground (the factory controller pulls the white wire to ground to trigger the little relay). That how I have my stock setup. It's will take care of itself, or I can push the button and run the plugs if needed.

Sorry for the slight hijack Wes......

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
If you look at the picture in post #3 of this thread, at the "bottom" center is the stock glow plug controller. This actually consists of 2 parts.

1. The Glow Plug Relay

2. The Solid State Glow Plug Controller (Has the relay connected, couldn't find one without the relay)

dscn0686-jpg.61240

Wes's "Total" kit, replaces both. The relay, and the controller.

The kit in post 3 uses both the controller, and the relay. It just replaces the crumbling wiring.

You could use the factory controller, and run the White Rodgers relay and one of Wes's @Thewespaul kits (not sure that's one of the options, but could be) to replace the wiring. Trigger the White Rodgers relay with the factory controller, and new wiring, and have an automatically controlled, upgraded system. Run a manual bypass wire, and best of both worlds.

My opinion, if you controller works, I would get the kit in #3, or if he has available something like I said, a "modified" total kit (or using a total kit, and having the manual pushbutton trigger, and the trigger from the controller) so it works both ways. I set mine up with the factory setup, and add a pushbutton ground (the factory controller pulls the white wire to ground to trigger the little relay). That how I have my stock setup. It's will take care of itself, or I can push the button and run the plugs if needed.

Sorry for the slight hijack Wes......
snicklas,

Thanks for the great detailed additional explanation. It helped me to get a lot better idea of what Wes's "kits" consist of and a great pictoral view along with your written options and how, EACH one work.

The other options you suggested were also a big help at de-mystifying the different optional "setups" of how these options could be incorporated into a hybrid "best of both worlds scenario.

Actually it was nice of you to look all this up along with pictures and "hijack" this (Wes's thread) info and expand upon it. I'm sure others will also get a lot out of your post as well. I sure did!

Great job for the extra detailed explanation.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
So, another rant on Pro's/Con's/$$$/Choices....

I've read about others having short lived success with OEM relays and the upgrade to the bigger W-R relay and manual psh button GP relocation "KIT" fromWes of CDD as being a logical, next step upgrade. Here's my issues....

I have also been researching other options and that brought me to the Diesel RX line of products long before I saw this terrific "kit" from Classic Diesel Designs.

So, I have heard some like, Diesel RX glow plugs and Diesel RX Relay/Controller. Others, NOT so much.

They, (Diesel RX) recommends, to replace the glow plugs as a set, (which makes sense, their hotter, faster GP's) and also doing their DRx branded relay/controller at the same time.

I found them before Wes and his kit last month and already got a set of DRx glow plugs and planned on getting their 75-80 relay and controller with their labels on it, it looks like a "stock controller relay to me with pretty stickers" but has anyone found value and longevity in ACTUAL USE of DRx comined glow plugs and controller/module?

I'm not made of money and so I ask lots of questions before making a move on anything over $25 on average.

As a result of finding the "KITS" that "thewespaul" offers, which, for the record and the research, I feel IS the BEST upgrade to ANY stock 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. Having said that, I don't have the $185 + shipping for the Manual relay complete relocation pkg. KIT.

Also, I already have the Diesel RX glow plugs and have started on the replacement of barrel ends on my stock glow plug OEM harness using Accurate Diesel's 8 pk. of ends which, by the way is a much bigger PITA, which is why I've only done the passenger bank, in place, so far.

Anyway, because I halfway into all this....
My questions to any/all...... has anyone had good success with the DIESELRx controller/relay? This may be an option for someone like me, who found CDD and Wes's kits after they have been piecing their truck/van back together and already have some parts?

Does anyone have any actual use data on if the DieselRx Relay/Controller is better than stock OEM or lasts at least as long as stock? I want to go the "whole enchilada" kit from Wes/CDD but have got to wait a month more of getting rides before I get my van back up and operational if I go this DRx controller/relay route in might cut that time in half for me to be mobile againas its less than 1/2 the cost of Wes' kit.

But my conundrum is, I still want to go the rest of the way with my electrical system at some point, and feel I may be wasting my money for a "rebranded" stock type DRx controller/relay, when, if I save a little longer, I could go the ONCE and DONE, Wes/CDD way....anyone else struggling with "electrical glow plug part ****" on Valentines Day 2019?

Urggh!

Where's that winning lotto ticket...I know I misplaced it somewhere??? LOL

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
I just purchased a kit from the wespaul at Classic Diesel Designs.... minus the glow plugs because I recently installed the ZD9s if that’s what they are called can’t rightly remember that off hand but it’s in my purchases on eBay,
Where IS that winning lotto ticket

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Update on these kits offered by Wes of Classic Diesel Designs:

I was just doing QUITE a LOT of comparison shopping on all the different options out there online and, at the big box stores and "stealerships".

My comparisions ALL came up SHORT both on value and cost, when looking at the White Rodgers relay and the manual push button "kit" Wes offers on this thread. WOW!

Wes REALLY offers some AMAZING prices and more importantly, REAL VALUE here with these EXTREMELY WELL DESIGNED and MADE glow plug wiring and glow plug relay/controller relocation all in one "KITS".

Some others, I say, "competitors" but really, there is no apples to apples comparison out there ANYWHERE else....

Wes's kit are visably much cleaner and technically, in (form and function) FAR SUPERIOR to ANYTHING I could find, period.

BOTTOM LINE in my opinion is that, ALL OTHERS OUT THERE charge as much or more, some, FAR more and MANY, provide FAR less.

Wes, @ CDD in Texas. If you read this, a real BIG shout out to you......thanks for offering this here on OB forum.

I'm SOLD and now see the value and quality Wes is offering here and will be ordering ASAP as I can afford to do so.

Last edited: