Need advice on Dana 60

crabbypaul

Reaction score
I just installed a Dana 60 front axle out of 97 F350 in the 86 F250 , this has a ZF5 speed that replaced a T19 4 speed this was done a few years ago. The front drive shaft that was in it is about 1.5 inches to long. The drive shaft that was in the 97 F350 is way to long , I grabbed that when I obtained the axle. The drive shaft that was in the 97 F350 has a CV style double u-joint that attaches to the transfer case. The drive shaft that I was using in the 86 F250 has a single u-joint at each end with this drive shaft you could drive 75 mph in 4wheel drive and it didn't vibrate at all. I didn't get the transfer case out of the 97. I am wondering if the CV style double u-joint is necessary to drive at high speed in 4 wheel drive with the dana 60. Also the transfer case that is in the 86 F250 is a 1345 if I use the CV style double u-joint when I have a drive shaft made does anyone know the part number for the correct front output yoke for the front drive shaft. If this has been addressed already please point me to the forum and thank you for any help.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cv style shaft is there to allow the front driveshaft to run at a higher angle without vibrating or wearing u-joints excessively. You maybe perfectly fine running a standard driveshaft depending on your angles but you won’t unless to get the angles and see what your running.

The front driveshaft you got from the 97 would be for an automatic which is good cause you can shorten for cheap. The 97 should of had a bw4407 transfer case in it which runs a different cv yoke on the transfer case than any other bw unit.

Finding a cv yoke for your transfercase is going to be interesting as I don’t know if the 1345 ever came with the cv yoke, I know the 1356 is very hard to find and is becoming rare to buy new.

I would take your current driveshaft and get it shortened a few inches and see if you have a vibration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online