My WMO Setup, Pics

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I started this in the wrong forum yesterday but here it is in the correct forums,..Damn Newbs anyway,...

I started purcasing my WMO setup today. I bought 2 House Filtersetups, first will filter down to 20 Microns, the second down to 5. I bought a 12V pump that will pump it out of the 55 Gallon barrell that we dump our oil changes into. Once it it pumped out of there through the filters it goes into a holding tank on wheels with a hand pump so we can move it and store it in a 52 gallon L shaped tank with a 12V pump and fuel handle. It also has a meter on it to show how many gallons was pumped. That way I can keep track of the what gets pumped in to the truck, Diesel Jetta, and Diesel Rabbit Pickup (shop truck).

I will pick up all of the plumbing tomorrow and post some pics.

Later,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So now it is tomorrow and I got it installed in the shop and it works great!

The PVC Pipe drops down in the 55 gallon barrell about 8 inches from the bottom, It can be pulled out easily to swap out the barrel.

The pump is a Flo Jet 2.0 GPM 12V self priming pump. I picked up at Tractors Supply for $88.00

There is a small ball valve to open up the output of the pump to help it prime. I fired it up, saw the oil come into the pump, opened up the valve, saw the oil come through, and closed it again.

Then I used 2 Culligan Water filters, from TSC for $31.60 each. I got 20 MIcron filters for the first one, and 5 micron filters for the second one. About $3.00 each.

Total for everything with all of the misc pluming was $216.00 and It took about 4 minutes to filter 5 gallons.

Then I dumped the oil in the 52 gallon transfer tank with a gas pump on it and will use that to fill the truck. So far so good! ;Sweet

BTW, I went to Home Depo last night to get all of the misc pluming parts, I had 2 guys working on it and it was too difficult for them, I told them to Nevermind and this morning went to Godwin Pluming, an Do It Now small local hardware store, I broght in the pump and filters, set them on the counter, and told them what I wanted to do. All I had to do was sit there at the counter and the old guy who has been doing this stuff forever assembled all of the parts for me. I used every part and didn't have to go back for anything, with no parts leftover. KUDOS to the Local Hardware Store!;Sweet

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    857.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    715.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    859.9 KB · Views: 102

bcool

Reaction score
Looks great, close setup to what i should be running. My stuff will show up here on thursday.

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. i bought the same flow jet pump on a spray tank that i mounted on a wagon and use for a tranfer tank. imounted my filters about the same as you. i will move them to be directly over the top of my barrels so the oil spills back into the barrel when i change filters. joe

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nice, I would use a 1 micron filter for final filtration. It always depends where You get Your oil (You have Your own shop) but a filter that separates fuel from water would be a good choice too.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, so far it is working great. I have been running it in the Cummis for 3 days with no difference in performance, how it runs, or how it smokes. It just smells a little difference.

In one of the other Cummins forums there is a post where a guy has 600K miles on his truck, bought it new and has been running WMO since day one.

i will move them to be directly over the top of my barrels so the oil spills back into the barrel when i change filters. joe

Hey Joe, I can see where the filter changes could get messy, I have run about 30 gallons so far and there is no change in flow, so I don't know how often I will have to change them, well see,...

I was wondering if you screened or prefiltered your WMO other than the 20 micron?

There is a screen that I use before we dump it in the 55 gallon barrell that catches all of the big stuff, but for the most part since Bob does all of the oil changes, he makes sure it is clean oil. If there is any contaminates, he dumps it in a "dirty" barrell and that wont get used.

Nice, I would use a 1 micron filter for final filtration. It always depends where You get Your oil (You have Your own shop) but a filter that separates fuel from water would be a good choice too.

Hey Zeek, Where I got the 20M and 5M filters there were no 1M filters, but after purchasing them I went to Godwin Hardware and they had the 1M filters for the same price as the 5M so I will probablly change to the 1M when the filters need to be changed. Maybee just add another filterset up and go from 20 to 5 to 1, might be overkill, but would be easy to do.

As far as the water seperator, I thought about that also, but I am not sucking from the bottom of the barrell so I should be OK avoiding water as well as knowing where the oil comes from.

So far so good,...

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking setup. I'm in the process of building something similar but I am using an air powered pump instead of 12v.

SuperDuty335

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, so far it is working great. I have been running it in the Cummis for 3 days with no difference in performance, how it runs, or how it smokes. It just smells a little difference.

In one of the other Cummins forums there is a post where a guy has 600K miles on his truck, bought it new and has been running WMO since day one.

Hey Joe, I can see where the filter changes could get messy, I have run about 30 gallons so far and there is no change in flow, so I don't know how often I will have to change them, well see,...

There is a screen that I use before we dump it in the 55 gallon barrell that catches all of the big stuff, but for the most part since Bob does all of the oil changes, he makes sure it is clean oil. If there is any contaminates, he dumps it in a "dirty" barrell and that wont get used.

Hey Zeek, Where I got the 20M and 5M filters there were no 1M filters, but after purchasing them I went to Godwin Hardware and they had the 1M filters for the same price as the 5M so I will probablly change to the 1M when the filters need to be changed. Maybee just add another filterset up and go from 20 to 5 to 1, might be overkill, but would be easy to do.

As far as the water seperator, I thought about that also, but I am not sucking from the bottom of the barrell so I should be OK avoiding water as well as knowing where the oil comes from.

So far so good,...

Can you recall where you read about the 600k mile Cummins on WMO? I'd really like to read about it. Thanks. Jake

Oilguy

Reaction score
Hey Darrin
I used to run those pumps a lot in my business before I went to air powered pumps and you need to make sure that you don't have EPDM seal in the pump or it the seals will crack/ split and either suck air or leak oil in about a month... I use Viton seals on a 4300-501 FloJet and they work pretty good >> Make sure to have some kind of filter or trap before the pump because the diaphragms will get stuck open and make it sound like the filters are plugged up when there is actually a drop in pressure from trash in the pump.
I built a setup like this years ago for a 7.3 PSD and had everything mounted on top of the barrel so I could wheel it around the shop and set it out of the way when not using it... Now I have a common rail 6.7 cummins and I am scared to run WMO in there.... If that messed up i would definitely :puke: .

Love the site... I have a WMO Project I have been working on for a while >> Converting WMO into Diesel... Heating the oil until it vaporizes and then condensing it into diesel/kerosene. We have had good success with batch processors and now I am building a continuous production machine.

Oilguy

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
would be very interested to see what you have oilguy if you could share;Sweet

BED BOLTS

Reaction score
Well i said i would give an update on the 50% diesel and 25/25 new oil and atf! Just the same still smoke at idle pretty bad a idle but runs great! Well then i just ran out of fuel and put in 15 gal of diesel and 3 gal of kerosene and the rest of wvo to see how much cleaner it would be. Well i do not know what i did but it smells good but smoke really bad. ran about 100 mile and top off 7 gal of diesel to help clean it out. Waiting now, any ideas from you guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online