My truck must be mad at me!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think that my truck would be happy that I have spent a lot of time with her today. We cut wood for the smoker and drove through thee pasture together to check on the cows, we even pull started the tractor so I could put out hay for the stud horses and the cows. Then when we come back to stoke the fire in the smoker I noticed some steam coming from under the hood. The fan had come unscrewed and was laying down low against the radiator and a small stream of antifreeze coming from up high on one of the cooling tubes.

I'm thinking about leaving the fan off for the winter, any thoughts from anybody?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine off for most of last year. The only time it even came close to getting hot was when I was climbing Sonora Pass (hwy 108, over 9000 ft) in the sierras.

I don't think you should have to much of a problem

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty cold winter at least up here in Ohio. Only you can determine to leave the fan off or just leave it off til it gets hot put it back on only this time put a couple of drops of blue loctite on the threads. If the hole isn't to big either solder it up or sand it real good and JB weld it.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modesto? Is that just north of Madera? Several years ago I had to drive up the to a guy that relined brakes, to get a rear set of shoes relined for a 65 MB that my wife and I drove out to visit My Mother.

I was shocked when I saw the fan had fallen off. I've never had it off, but I've only had the truck a year and haven't taken any road trips with it as yet. Though I have a 600 mile R/T to make real soon.

I have heard of people welding the clutch. How is that done? Not that I'm going to do it, but on close inspection, If the clutch were to need replacing I would in a heart beat. I will probably leave the clutch off for the winter and put it back on if it needs it when hot weather gets here, in a bad summer I've seen 118* here and I've seen 90 100*+ days in a summer with 30 of those days 110*+.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the hole isn't to big either solder it up or sand it real good and JB weld it.

The hole isn't big at all, I figure it will solder easily. Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reason those fans spin off is there left hand threads. Factory used thread locker on them, someone has had it off. Rev the engine and shut it off the fan still keeps spinning, unscrews, thats how it happens. 2 drops of blue Loctite on the threads.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to know the reason why. Thank you. The water pump has been replaced in the passed so that's probably when it was off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The torque required for the fan clutch nut is 165 lbs...:eek: I add a 36 inch snapon breaker bar and a 18 sears breaker bar plus the blue loctite... I have no issues .... Yet.....:angel: P.S... These breaker bars are under the rer seat all the time too.....LOL;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had my fan come off, I guess I should have used loctite on it but I never have, just got it as tight as I could with the crappy rental tool from Advance Auto Parts and as much torque as I could give it. Probably falls short of 165 ft-lbs, maybe I should be worried.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like simple, I'll put the fan back on when I need it. I carry a 24" breaker/lug wrench/lever/whatever behind my back seat also, plus a 32" cheater. The first time I had to change a tire I twisted 3 4" extension before I got down to my impact extension. I can apply some torque.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
when i replaced my water pump 10,000 miles ago i didn't even tighten my fan , which i never do on anything and i've never had one come loose

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I ground the sides of a pipe wrench to get my fan off and then dogged up the fan blade before I hit the wrench with a hammer...Took a few whacks but it came off eventually....I used blue loctite to reinstall it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online