My new and improved air intake

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Ok guys me and a friend was in the local gas station today and went to the back to find a peice of flexible aluminum dryer ducting (i think is what you call it lol) that i heard from a another friend this store had. With alot of elbow grease and choice words -cuss i finally got it on and fitted it in there just right. It looks alot better in there and i beleive is prolly gettin cooler air. In case ya'll cain't keep up with me :sly i got a baby filter on the water drain valve now too so i'm pretty sure she's completly breathin clean now. Anyway heres some pics of my work. The 1st is before... 2nd is after

Attachments

• 7.3 motor pic.JPG
    7.3 motor pic.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 87
  • 1newintake.JPG
    1newintake.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 139

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think of it. Soon i'm gonna pull off the fender and run a cold air intake through that way. I was looking at it today and it looks highly possible if a man had some sort of small duck work.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
No, it's like the noise you get if you have the air cleaner off all the way and throttle it a little, it's actually a nice throaty noise.;Sweet

I kind of like it and sometimes you can hear it more with those setups.

That Hypermax deal I linked you too on the other thread sucks from the cowl and some guys have said they can hear the intake noise just a little more.:dunno

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Yeah, the hypermax intake makes a cool noise, kind of like an industrial vacumn. It makes you think the motor is gonna suck all the air out of the cab and kill you. Mine sounds even better now with my injectors and the timing adjusted.

The intake is looking pretty good, but I wonder is there a seal between the lid and base of the aircleaner? If not, I would run a bead of RTV on it to seal it up better since you no longer have to remove it to change the filter.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 things might give this setup some improvement. The colder the incoming air the better the performance due to air density. 1st would be to insulate the incoming air from engine heat. Insulating the dryer ducting from heat and/or shielding the engine thus redirecting the heat away from the ducting should help.2nd and probably most effective is using an intercooler. 3rd would be to add a fresh air scoop to your hood. Most likely you've already seen the largest gains with your modified setup. These are just some options I see that would depend on your time. money, and inclination to do.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The intake is looking pretty good, but I wonder is there a seal between the lid and base of the aircleaner? If not, I would run a bead of RTV on it to seal it up better since you no longer have to remove it to change the filter.

Syco,

That was my consern in the other thread. I know on any "bowl and lid" style air cleaner, even the one on my Cub Cadet, the filter seals between the clean and dirty side inside the housing. The lid opening is on the dirty side in a stock setup and not an issue if it leaks. I think a good RTV seal is a good idea, and if he ever wants to revert to a stock style element, it could be opened and cleaned off.....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Syco,

That was my consern in the other thread. I know on any "bowl and lid" style air cleaner, even the one on my Cub Cadet, the filter seals between the clean and dirty side inside the housing. The lid opening is on the dirty side in a stock setup and not an issue if it leaks. I think a good RTV seal is a good idea, and if he ever wants to revert to a stock style element, it could be opened and cleaned off.....

Exactly, I also hear there should be a rubber washer around the wingnut holding the lid down and making sure the gasket that goes under the entire assembly would be good as well. Need to make sure that thing is sealed so there are no regrets.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I done checked the wingnut and the seal around the bowl and lid. They are all good i sprayed them with an air compressor to make sure. none came through on my fingers

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
How could i fix the air leaks you guys are talking about. I ran an air conpressor all the way around it and i didnt feel anything coming through.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about trying to modify my N/A too.

I have a couple of questions. Does the cone type of filter allow more air flow than the traditional stock filter? I would have thought that the stock filter would have had more surface area, but it wouldn't been the first time I was wrong.

Second question, what does your modification gain you? I'm assuming it gets you farther away from the engine, and puts you into some cooler air, but I would think that it would be better to get it up near the grill. Just curious.

Thanks,
Mark

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Exactly, I also hear there should be a rubber washer around the wingnut holding the lid down and making sure the gasket that goes under the entire assembly would be good as well. Need to make sure that thing is sealed so there are no regrets.

Mine has the rubber grommet around the wing nut, well really a wing bolt, only one I've seen with it still there. Maybe it's an XLT or Lariat thing.;pLOL

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about trying to modify my N/A too.

I have a couple of questions. Does the cone type of filter allow more air flow than the traditional stock filter? I would have thought that the stock filter would have had more surface area, but it wouldn't been the first time I was wrong.

Second question, what does your modification gain you? I'm assuming it gets you farther away from the engine, and puts you into some cooler air, but I would think that it would be better to get it up near the grill. Just curious.

Thanks,
Mark

NO. your stock air filter has more surface area then the one he used so you would be getting more air flow and if you have all the stock intake duck work you are getting COLD fresh air from behind the grill. If you want to mod anything just put in a cleanable air filter of your choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger